AdWords
3.3K members online now
3.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Amazon conversions vs High budget Adwords campaign conversions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

let's just say a company (A) sells through Amazon and through their own site. Company A simultaneously run an Adwords campaign to increase the traffic and conversions, however their Amazon store sells more than their regular store.

so, lets say A increases their budget to an amount that allow them to reach even more customers around the www, and lets say this budget is high enough to call itself almost unlimited. (consider also a big set of keywords with different type of match and Ads that includes keywords, Calls to action and all that typical stuff)

the logic way to think is that if this company has a budget that allows it to have as much impressions as it can, the conversions from the Adwords campaign should be higher than their Amazon store. because of the huge reach that the campaign has and of course the amount of traffic their store will get.

why this doesn't happen in the real life????????????

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Amazon conversions vs High budget Adwords campaign conversions.

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Can you provide more data ? How many conversion in the same time frame from amazon and from adwords ?

Is the campaign taking advantage of extensions ? What are the optimisations applied to see what you might have missed ?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
about the time frame: in 1 day, amazon gets at least 35% to 40% more.

about the extensions: Product Extension, Call extension & Site-link Extension!

i don't follow you with the optimizations...

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Rafa,

I think the big thing that you are missing about both platforms, in my opinion, the intent is whats different here, its safe to say when someone comes to Amazon, their intent to purchase is much higher than when someone searches a term on Google for information & more of seeing whats out there.

So what I am really saying is, it should be expected to see more sales from Amazon because its a comparison shopping engine, so the people are ready to make a buying decision going to Amazon rather then when they are browsing the net for information and not so much to buy on Google.

As far as optimizations, you shouldnt compare platforms because they are different, I think you should focus on optimizing your account for the best CPA rather than comparing apples and oranges.  You know Amazon performs better, because after all, its a SHOPPING platform where as Google is a SEARCH focused.

Hope this helps!

PPCSophie

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi rafa,

It's really hard to say. It could be trust issues. Amazon is a trusted name, even if you are just selling through Amazon. Your own web site may not have gathered that trust. Sometimes that can be mitigated by placing trust marks on your site.

My question is the how are the conversion rates with your AdWords clicks? What's your CTR? Are your keywords too broad? AdGroups too big?

It could be a lot of things.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

i guess the trust and the navigation in the site can means a huge difference, however we can be talking about a huge amount of clicks and traffic!, anyway you are giving me some clues that could lead me to a global answer (because i know that the answer for this question wont be found in an specific detail but into a sum of facts)

Thanks, and if you still have more clues i'll be very pleased to hear them!

[ Edited ]
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Are the Ad groups well organised and related to the sitelinks , or do you use general sitelinks ?

For example when someone searches for product1, and you have it in the title of the ads and you point to a sitelink of that product or product group ? 

Do you use DKI in titles in order to better atract visitors ? ( https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2454041 ) 

How long and simple is your shopping conversion path ? Maybe it's arhitecture is less easy to use than the one from amazon ? I have seen 4-th times more conversions if the shopping was done in 1 page/step instead of 3 ( defining buyer details, product details, transportation and final details )

Are you analysing conversion paths ?

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1191209?hl=en&ref_topic=1191164

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hello, Rafa.

Does Amazon provide you with views on your product pages? Can you calculate the sales / views ratios on each of the platforms? If you can't there's no way of knowing if Amazon has a higher conversion rate or if it just has a huge amount of views for your product pages and thus sells more through sheer traffic.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
the landing pages are definitely correct, the keywords are includes in the Add!

thanks for the conversions paths, i'll check that.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
i'm not really sure about the views, but i mean conversions just as sales, amazon sells more than an Adwords campaign with extremely high budget.

its like trying to ignore every statistics, you would expect that if you are allowing Google to get as much people in your site as they can (and this definitely a lot of people) how can amazon still beat them?

Extremely high budget= Extremely high impressions= Extremely high clicks= (at least) high conversions.