AdWords
3.2K members online now
3.2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Am I approaching negative keyword lists incorrectly?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

With one of my Adwords setups, I have a lot of broad match modifier keywords in place to try and capture long tail keywords that I might otherwise have missed out on with phrase and/or exact match.

However, I know 100% from my client that certain keywords they absolutely do not want their Ads to appear for across any of their campaigns e.g. keyword phrases that include the likes of:

vacancy

job

career

cheap

free

So what I do is setup a negative keyword list, and then assign this list to all campaigns. It looks like this:

Screen Shot 2014-04-08 at 15.30.38.png

The problem I'm having however, is that despite having this negative keyword list assigned to my campaigns, which include broad match modifier keywords e.g. +keyword +phrase, I'm still getting traffic for keywords that include the likes of vacancy, job, career, cheap, free, etc. I know this from looking at the specific keywords via Details > Search terms > All. I can then exclude this from here, but it would of been nice if Adwords would have recognised the negative keyword list in the first place and saved wasted spend!

Can someone please shed any light on this. Am I missing something here, or approaching this incorrectly?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Am I approaching negative keyword lists incorrectly?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Christian,

I hope you are seeing search term report for the date range after adding the negative keyword. Also when you adding job and career you need to add careers and jobs too. Negative keywords doesn't stop showing ads for variations automatically. Make you negative that you added are at campaign level. You can use shared library if you want to add these negatives at campaign level for multiple campaigns.

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Neha,

Yes I definitely make sure I'm looking at data AFTER having adding the negative keywords, and I ensure the keyword list is assigned at the campaign level.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Christian G
September 2015

Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Collaborator ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Christian G,

To add to the very good observation from Neha, I would observe the following problem about your plural negative keyword carreers and your singular positive keyword career which you want to be blocked.

"they absolutely do not want their Ads to appear for across any of their campaigns e.g. keyword phrases that include the likes of:

vacancy
job
career"

"   I'm still getting traffic for keywords that include the likes of vacancy, job, career,  "

Please make sure that in the negative keywords list you put all plural, singular , misspelling variations because if the positive keyword in simple broad can invite singulars and plurals, the negative broad keyword does not have this feature to mirror and block botch singular and plural forms.

Lastly , every time you add some negative keywords, test them  in the Ad Preview tool with search terms which include it, to avoid any surprizes. Normally this test should trigger a message that "a negative .... is blocking your keyword .... from the campaign ..... "

What could be a rare exception : Also make sure that you have not exceeded the 5000 keyword limit per list, I noticed in the past that there was a bug which allows you to add a larger than 5000 keywords list with a single upload but only up to 5000 function .

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Hi Adrian,

Thank you I'll make sure to include plural, singular and misspelling variations. I don't think I'm anywhere near the 5,000 keyword limit - but thanks for letting me know about this unusual bug.