AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Always Use Unlimited Budget For Campaigns?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I'm reading a book on Adwords and the author argues that you should never specify a budget for your Adwords campaigns.

He says the only way to get on high traffic keywords and to compete is to leave budget blank and to manage the bids from the keyword level.

Has anyone ever tried this -- and to what success?

I like the idea of being able to complete on my various keywords and possibly gain a large impression share.

Of course, my concern is by not specifying a budget I could wake up one morning to find I've spent $5,000 overnight.

Perhaps a new unlimited campaign should be created for only converting keywords to minimize the risk of financial loss?

Please let me know your thoughts.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Always Use Unlimited Budget For Campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well.... You know... This advice is similar  to ask you to spend money beyond your revenues.... Smiley Surprised

You should set the budget based on  goals, and based on analysis  of the campaign performance  and ROI.  It's correct, though, that  in a competitive field you need a higher budget because a high CPC. But I would take with a grain of salt any advice to spend money without careful  analysis of the data and ROI.

Our colleague, @Jon_Gritton wrote a very good article on the topic; start here:

Setting a Sensible Budget

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Always Use Unlimited Budget For Campaigns?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
I don't think it's technically possible to run an AdWords campaign without a budget. You have to set some limit. When I have "unlimited budget', I set up a strong account, analyze and increase the budgets as needed to make sure we have full IS etc...

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’