star_border

Affinity Category Targeting

JM5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
JM5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hiya,

Just a quick question, as this is only relevant if Google can define a user by more than one affinity category.

How can I set up a campaign that targets a user if they belong to 'affinity category a' AND 'affinity category b' AND 'affinity category c'?

I believe that the ability to do this will help isolate the user of choice when planning an Adwords campaign using Google Analytics Affinity Category reporting.

Thanks in advance!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Affinity Category Targeting

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi JM5

Affinity is available on the display network.

Read here;

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2497941?hl=en

Don't confuse "Affinity" with "interests". They  are quite close. Personally, I would prefer Topics (i.e. Targeting web pages about a topic / subject, compared to targeting the users interested in this topic. Google does a better job identifying pages on a given topic, than identifying the users who have an interest in a topic).

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2498060?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

JM5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
JM5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks MosheTLV!

However I was wanting to know whether or not you could target (say) three affinities within a campaign with the condition that the user 'possesses' all three.

For example, I would like to target 'car enthusiasts' who are also 'green enthusiasts' and are 'technophiles' with an advert about a futuristic, environmentally sound car, etc. Is this possible do you think?

Thanks for the tip re. topics vs affinity, will keep that in mind!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

This is a bit complex; 

Within a targeting method (e.g.  Within interests) if you pick a number of categories, (e.g. Several  areas of interest) the OR condition applies. (And the reason is that  if you apply the AND condition, your reach will be very narrow, and the ad will probably not be shown.)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

JM5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
JM5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks, I completely understand. I was hoping that I could somehow apply the AND condition instead of the OR. The reason being is that yes the reach will be low, but highly targeted making my campaign perform better (for conversion at least).

I was hoping to use the top three converting 'interests' in my Google Analytics report and developing a campaign targeting all three at once (using the AND condition), that way reaching new users that had a strong chance of converting.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I missed your last reply;
My assumption is that Google does not offer this option, since it will reduce drastically the "reach" to levels in which most advertisers will get a very low number of impressions.