AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords started out ok but CTR is dropping and bounce rate is increasing after 1 week. What can I do

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

My Adwords campaign has been running for a week. After a good start, the CTR is decreasing and the bounce rate is increasing. How do I find what is going wrong?

Regards

KD

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords started out ok but CTR is dropping and bounce rate is increasing after 1 week. What can

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi KD,

Welcome to the community..!

Have you chaged your ads or keywords? (New ads/keywords/match type)

When you started your ads what was your ad position and what is it now?

Re: Adwords started out ok but CTR is dropping and bounce rate is increasing after 1 week. What can

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi KD,

First what channel have you started with display or search?

For Search campaigns, please check if you were bidding on  broad keywords(select the keyword and click see search term)? Broad keywords trigger queries which may not be relevant to your landing page. So intially for the first week you may received traffic but now the relevancy must be degradding. Which willl casue drops the ad positions and directly affect the CTRs 

Solution: Try to insert more relevant keywords inline with your business and in exact match.

Remeber that adwords is basically not for generating more traffic but to bring relevant customers to your website. Hence keep your approach inline with adwords business model and you should get immediate returns.

For Display campaigns, you will have sufficent data to check where the ad was displayed. Check the relevancy of the website where the ads were displayed with your landing page. It may also happen the Avg. CPCs for the website where the ads were displayed were increased. Hence ad placements were altered. Check the placement performance data for more details.

Aditya

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome;

I'd like to draw your attention that for a new keyword you are given to start, a QS based on an average QS of all advertising using this keyword, until you reach 1000 impressions, and start to get clicks on your campaign (or not). Google does not disclose how this "average" is calculated: based on all languages or is a language specific. In any case, you should keep in mind, that until to reach 1000 impressions, the QS is NOT based on your own campaign performance.

When you start to gain impressions the QS changes based on your campaign performance CTR.  Work on increasing CTR

Read more in these two "keynote" discussions:

Ingredients of the QualityScore sauce

Recipe to making the perfect QualityScore Sauce

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I don't know what Google does but waiting on 1000 impressions doesn't sound technically right. This could take quite a while, months or even years for low search volume keywords.

What I suspect is a multi-prong approach for new keywords. They have over ten years of data to base things on and improving the software so it's likely very sophiticated by now.

There's obviously relevancy of the keyword to the ad(s) and landing page. But I suspect they may even compare the ad to other ads in the past and do some sort of similarity score. Then base on similar ads to yours, assign the QS based on the CTR those ads achieved.

If the system assigned based on average QS, then every new keyword would be set at 5. That's not the case so something else in in play.

I think the logical thing to assume is that the QS is based on the language. Makes sense and there are not many terms where the keyword would be the same in different languages, except for one or two-word keywords.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi Lucid_Marketing;

No need to guess or speculate here ; All written in the two articles I linked written by a Google's specialty.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’