Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords setup for multiple brick and mortar services business

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there,

We're rebuilding a bit of our ad structure, and I was wondering what your thoughts are on how we should set it up.

We have over 100 locations and are a services business, for the benefit of this example lets say we're a firm of lawyers who offer both personal injury claim and employment law services.

So in terms of keyword, we have geotargetted generic keywords like 'personal injury' and 'employment law' as well as location keywords 'personal injury lawyer london', 'employment lawyer london' 

At the moment we have campaigns for each region:

Personal Injury South East
Person Injury North West
Employment Law South East
Employment Law South West

Each of these has the same ad groups like:

No Win No Fee
Free Consultation
Bespoke Advice

Etc.

Would you say there is a benefit to going more granular than this? Would you structure the account differently? 

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ashley F
April 2016

Re: Adwords setup for multiple brick and mortar services business

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ashley,

I can't see why you are missing on Personal Injury South West or Employment Law North West, however, I guess you in fact do have them, just wanted to keep the query short.

Actually what I think is that your account structure is basically good. Even the breakdown of Ad Groups seems a fine idea, based on user engagement status. You may try going more granular geographically, however, be warned that it often results in decrease in traffic. Based on my own experience Google prefers major compact geo-targets; maybe I'd rather try going in the opposite direction and targeting Greater London as a whole.

Best,
Lakatos

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ashley F
April 2016

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Ashley,

I can't see why you are missing on Personal Injury South West or Employment Law North West, however, I guess you in fact do have them, just wanted to keep the query short.

Actually what I think is that your account structure is basically good. Even the breakdown of Ad Groups seems a fine idea, based on user engagement status. You may try going more granular geographically, however, be warned that it often results in decrease in traffic. Based on my own experience Google prefers major compact geo-targets; maybe I'd rather try going in the opposite direction and targeting Greater London as a whole.

Best,
Lakatos

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Absolutely, there are actually 300 keyword variations, so wouldn't put them all in! Thanks for your help

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi @Ashley F personally I would go more granular, but, as Lakatos has said, keeping the geo targets larger at the Campaign level.

Bear in mind one of the key features of the Campaign level is budget, so I'd question whether it's a good idea to have quite different Ad Group targets within the same Campaign.  To me, "Free Consultation" and "Bespoke Advice" are targeting entirely different customers and it's quite possible you'll want to spend more money on one than another, so I'd split the Campaigns out.  Have a Campaign for each type of customer (which may contain several Ad Groups of course), and then repeat all those Campaigns by region.  So if you did just have four regions and three Ad Groups, you'd end up with 12 Campaigns.  If this seems like a lot of Campaigns, bear in mind with some smart labelling and automation, you can make management a lot easier.

For the Campaigns themselves, I presume you're targeting them by county?  If not, it's probably your best bet since you can then bid adjust by county.

I'd consider this an initial setup to gather data.  In 6 months time you may well be able to say "Heck, we only got three clicks in six months from these Campaigns", and can then amalgamate them into one.  Other significant data may allow you to adjust the structure to simplify.

Don't forget to manage for mobile devices by Campaign as well.  It's entirely possible (I'd say likely) you'll get better performance for mobiles in the South East than you will in the South West...

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Summary: Unlike in ancient years when we were only allowed to create a small number of campaigns in an account, now you can basically slice and dice them as you wish.

Granularity in budget: As Jon mentioned you have a good reason for going granular when you want new campaigns so that you can dedicate their own budget to them.

Granularity in geo-target: Increased geographical granularity, however, often results in an unwanted drop in traffic.