AdWords
1.6K members online now
1.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords prioritize competition or local monthly search?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I went to google adwords keyword tool. went to column, set match type to exact and clicked on competition, local monthly searches and approximate CPC

There are a) words that have high competition level but low local monthly searches (10~50) and

=> feels like if i dont bid on these keywords then im missing out... but number of local monthly searches is so low that it worries me and im doubting whether this would be effective

b) ones with low to medium competition but over 700+ local monthly searches.  

=> for this i dont get why level of competition is low-medium when there is over 700+ local monthly searches

I want to know the optimal way to choose my keywords. So which keywords should I go for? Ones in a) or b)?

Re: Adwords prioritize competition or local monthly search?

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi hojoon91,

Welcome to the forum

a) words that have high competition level but low local monthly searches (10~50) and

=> feels like if i dont bid on these keywords then im missing out... but number of local monthly searches is so low that it worries me and im doubting whether this would be effective.

It depends on your advertising budget.If you have enough budget and if you have the ability to compete with high CPC bid keywords then you can choose this type of keywords.But be carefull, If you’re spending $5/click, and only earning back an average of $1/visitor, you’ll be losing money quickly.

If you want to avoid the high competition keywords then you can try the following ideas:

• Keyword with different match type : Change the keyword match type like Phrase/Broad.You may get some low competition keywords.But using these type of keywords are little bit of risky because you may get irrelevent clicks.So don't forget to add negative keywords from the beginning.You can also try Modified Broad keywords(this option is not available on keywords tool,you have to check this manually by addidng keywords to your keyword list)
  • Find out Long Term Keywords: Try to find out some long term keywords.This type of keywords has low competition & you can also find low search volume but these type of keywords may be much more relevent for your business.For example: the keyword "buy a dual sim mobile online" may be less expensive but much targeted than the keyword "buy a mobile" which is very much expensive.

b) ones with low to medium competition but over 700+ local monthly searches.  

=> for this i dont get why level of competition is low-medium when there is over 700+ local monthly searches.

I am not sure but as per knowledge the keywords competition does not depends on the search volume,it basically depends on the different adwords advertiser all over the world who are competiting over the keywords.

You should choose these types of keywords if it is relevent to your business.

Just my thoughts.Our other community memebers can give you much better suggestion.

Hope it helps.

Regards,