AdWords
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords leads - tracking low quality leads back to campaigns/ad groups/ads/keywords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an adwords camapaign that drives clicks to an event registration page. Some of the leads are good quality but some are not. Is there any way for me to take all the poor quality leads and track which campaigns/ad groups/ads/keywords generated them in order that I can modify/exclude these sources? I have convestion tracking set up so I can track the cost of registrations but I have no way (currently) to look at individual leads and know how they were generated.

Thanks,

Jason

4 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords leads - tracking low quality leads back to campaigns/ad groups/ads/keywords

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Jason,

Welcome to the community!

You can look into search term report in order to see from which queries you are getting clicks. You can analyze this report and find out negative terms to exclude them from campaigns/adgroups. You can also find out some relevant potential keywords from this report and can add them in your campaign.

I hope this is what you are looking for.

Thanks

Neha

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Re: Adwords leads - tracking low quality leads back to campaigns/ad groups/ads/keywords

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jason,

You have not mentioned anything about your network selection in your question.

Are using a single campaign for Search and Display network? Or do you have separate campaign for them?

Sometimes Google display network and, search partner sites in search network can result in low quality leads.

So here are some suggestions which may help you to find the source of low quality leads.

1. If you are using a single campaign for search and content network, split them in to two. One specific campaign for search network and one for Google Display Network.

Run only one campaign at a time to find which network gives you better ROI and good leads.

2.  If you are running a separate campaign for search network, then remove search partners from your network selection and check the quality of leads for some time.

These steps may help you to find the best suitable network selection for your campaign.

Hope this Helps.

Info.

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

There are some good ideas here from the Community, thanks guys! 

However, there isn't a way to attribute one particular conversion that you've specified as a 'good lead' back to a particular keyword for the type of conversion that you are talking about.

To improve the quality of your conversions you might just want to think about refining down your keywords and placements as has already been mentioned, but you might also want to look at your Analytics account if you have one to see if you have a high bounce rate and which pages your customers are finding most useful. This could help you optimise your website a little further which might help you get some more conversions.

A.  

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Jason,

It seems the problem here is that both good and bad leads are counted as conversions. There is no report or data with AdWords or Analytics that can show you that kind of data.

You could use manual tagging to provide that data you wish to capture. It must be captured from the first page visited on your site--your landing pages or destination URL's. Do not use the utm_ named variables for this, as that will result in your AdWords traffic being reported twice in Analytics, once under traffic sources and once under advertising (assuming you have auto-tagging enabled, which I highly recommend).

This is not a simple task to accomplish. If you do not have programming experience yourself, and no one in your organization has that experience, I'm not sure I would recommend trying to do this on your own. Basically, the way I do it is to look at the incoming URL for the query string. The query string identifies the campaign, ad group and keyword (not the search query). I read that data and set my own cookie to include all of that data. At check out time, I capture all that data in my database so I can analyse at a later time.

It did take me a few shots at it until I got it right, and it broke some time after that and I had to fix it. Like I say, it is not a simple task. Setting the cookie can be done on the client-side with javascript. Capturing that data during checkout must be done at the server-side. Some commercial shopping carts have methods for doing this.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi there,

although this is an older topic, I have an additional question.

Would I be able to find our which of my conversions came from the Google Search Network and which from it's Search partners using one of the reports?

Thank you

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi DeBeenus,

It might have been a better idea to start a new thread with this question.

You can get counts of conversions by segmenting the Campaign tab report on network. That will give you counts for Google, Search Partners and Display Network campaign conversions. That's probably what you are asking.

I'm not sure about identifying individual conversions as Google or Search Partners. From what I know, it's going to be very difficult to determine. Search Partners do not fill in the {placement} with the web site. The referrer data could indicate google or doubleclick for visitors from either Google or Search Partners, so that won't help you much either.

Best of Luck!

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Pete, very helpful.

Also thank you for the tip, it would have been better starting a new topic indeed.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Just remember there is no such thing as a bad lead, if they contacted you then there is always hope with converting them at a later date.