Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords for expensive products

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I am currently advertising two expensive retail products for a client both are over £500. I have currently spent over £50 advertising both and neither have sold. The keywords are good and the ads are bringing the right traffic. I’m just looking for any tips on how to advertise expensive products for an ecommerce website any help would be appreciated. Smiley Happy

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David W
September 2015

Re: Adwords for expensive products

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi David,
To add to Jon & Drazen's excellent answer - another thing to consider when looking at conversions is Landing Pages - you may have selected relevant Keywords and written great Ad Copy, but if the Landing Page experience is sub-par, it will be hard for conversions to occur. Two things to consider - set up AdWords Campaign Experiments and see if sending traffic to different Landing Pages will impact Conversions.
https://www.google.com/ads/innovations/ace.html

Another thing to consider is Google Content Experiments. This is a free tool that will allow you to modify and update your Landing Pages and see how tweaks to pages impact Conversions.
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745147?hl=en

View solution in original post

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Expensive products are hard to sell and potential buyers think longer about purchases.
You should setup remarketing campaign so you can target with display ads people who visited your site before, and add a lot of information about your products and convince buyers to make a purchase.
Regards.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes this is a good idea but the remarketing list is too small. does Google run the list if there is a low volume?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
You need at leas 100 visitors in last 30 days.
If you spent 50£ then you should have them.. I think so.
Or you can connect Google merchant account with AdWords and run Product listing campaign.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi David, Drazen is right in one respect, the more expensive a product is generally speaking the more time a customer will take to make a decision and that decision process may involve several visits to your site (and others) over a period of time.  I have more than one client where over 10% of their sales happen a month or more after first click.

So, the first question is, how long have the Ads been running?

The second problem with expensive products is that they can require more "faith" in sucess as they can have an erratic and unpredictable conversion pattern - you may see no conversions for a month, then two on the next day, for example.

These two factors combined - a long path to conversion and erratic sales - can mean that these "low volume, high value" Accounts are difficult to manage and optimise and you will probably need to take a much longer view on performance than with Accounts where conversions are frequent.

If the client has Google Analytics enabled and has organic sales history, you should be able to examine the Multi-Channel Funnels in GA to get an idea of typical sales path lengths and this could help make decisions with AdWords.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author David W
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni
Hi David,
To add to Jon & Drazen's excellent answer - another thing to consider when looking at conversions is Landing Pages - you may have selected relevant Keywords and written great Ad Copy, but if the Landing Page experience is sub-par, it will be hard for conversions to occur. Two things to consider - set up AdWords Campaign Experiments and see if sending traffic to different Landing Pages will impact Conversions.
https://www.google.com/ads/innovations/ace.html

Another thing to consider is Google Content Experiments. This is a free tool that will allow you to modify and update your Landing Pages and see how tweaks to pages impact Conversions.
https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1745147?hl=en