Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords URLs

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All

I have a quick question regarding URLs, Tracking and Duplicate Content.

I normally build website where I send the traffic to a PHP landing page.

With in the URL I use keyword insertion to track what keyword is being passed to the landing page.

E.G - www.mysite.com?kw={KeyWord}

However, the new site i'm working on uses a different method for it's URLs  (URL rewrites)

So now the URL look more like:

www.mysite.com/my_keyword.html

The URL looks much nicer.

So my question is, will my QS drop because of this?

Will Adwords see this as duplicate content. 

E.G

www.mysite.com/my_keyword1.html

www.mysite.com/my_keyword2.html

www.mysite.com/my_keyword3.html

etc

All going to the same landing page. Will google see this as 3 landing pages all with the same content.

Or will it know what I'm trying to do?

Thanks for any advice. 

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords URLs

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi spires

I am not quite sure I understand the case.

Will the ad contain the URL www.mysite.com?kw={KeyWord} ? But the landingpage be www.mysite.com/my_keyword.html?

Are there actually several pages, or just multiple URL:s with the same/different content?

AdWords bot (the spider) does not care about duplicate content. Only Google bot does. If you have multiple pages with identical or very similar content and doesn´t want the Google bot to index them use the robots.txt file.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hey Spires..

I dont think the Google AdWords bot cares about the duplicate content.. so you can go ahead with the URL rewrites and use them for AdWords..

My only issue is I dont see a logic to this.

You will have to go into the account and map the landing page to a Keyword level destinaltin URL.

How is this better than the {keyword} tagging that you used for the URLs earlier?

Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

ok, Thats very handy to know Smiley Happy

The reason i'm doing this, is I want to have 1 keyword per adgroup.

I have a tool that sets this up very quick.

For Example:

*Keyword* (I'm bidding on, not search on (e.g - {Keyword}))
 = Dog Training Secrets

AD:

Looking to train your Dog?

*Keyword*

Call Now For Free Advice!

MySite.com

www.mysite.com/*Keyword*.html

LandingPage:

Then, the landing page uses the keyword in the title, meta, alt tages etc. 

This way, allowing each keyword to match close with the ad and the landing page.

Is this a good way to do it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Smiley Happy
They are the same page, but the keyword (from the URL) will be dynamically inserted into the H1, meta, alt etc

To make the page more relevant.

So:
www.mysite.com/my_keyword1.html

Landing page header will be:
my_keyword1

But the rest of the page content will be the same

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Theres nothing wrong with what you are doing.. though may not be that required. but i think it solves your purpose if you can to it via an automated tool. Smiley Happy
Cheers,
Shweta

AdWords Top Contributor
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Accepted Solution’!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

ok, Thanks for your help  Smiley Happy

Yeah, i'm only doing it this way as the URL can have ?kw=...

So this is mu alternative Smiley Happy

Thanks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

As you don´t have any real content in your heading (I guess), AdWords bot will be less able to tell what the page is about, and that will lower page relevance and QS

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hello, spires.

I don't think you'll achieve anything spectacular if you inject your keyword into H1, meta tags and some places on that page. Google's algorithms are way smarter that that.

Think about the latest updates (Panda / Penguin if I'm not mistaken) and the penalties that some overoptimized websites have received. I think that if the organic algorithm is able to detect such tricks, then the adwords bot can also grade your page and realize that it's nothing spectacular.

I did use something similar in the past (two years ago I think) when I advertised a product on a page that had the keyword in it, some ad lines in it and so on. It was never considered more relevant than the regular product page.

If I were you I'd invest in a page that deals with a certain theme, then use very related keywords to advertise and direct traffic to that page.

However, if you do decide to test your option, please get back to us with the results.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Thanks for your message.

Doen't having revelant content on your landing page I.E the keyword, have an effect on your quality score?

If my keywords we're:
 - Dog training
 - Dog training tips

- Dog training secrets

- dog trainging books

etc

and they all went to the same page. But that page only had the keyword "Dog Training" on it. 

Would my page be marked down for the term "Dog training secrets"  ?

I'm trying to get the keyword to match the ad, and the landing page for high relivance as I can.

What would be the best approach?

Thanks Smiley Happy