AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Telling me Play Store is a bad quality landing Page - Help!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I've been getting a notice in the status box beside my topics that our landing page was of low quality. Since the landing page was a direct link to our app in the Google Play Store this seemed odd to say the least.

We assumed it was gremlins and would sort itself out: But then our CTR and Impressions dropped off significantly along with a massive increase in CPA. So with our quality score plummeting we assumed it was because of this 'low quality landing page'  and changed our destination URL back to the app website.

Because of this we now can't get conversion data so while CTR etc has improved (we made other changes as well) we're still faced with potential users clicking on the ads - going directly to our website and then having to click into the playstore from there to download our app.  

If we knew that using the play store as the destination URL wasn't going to negatively effect our Quality Score then we would of course use it. So ideas as to why this might be so??

Also any ideas on the best targeting methods to use for marketing an app using display would be most welcome. We feel that our spend is way too high for the return we are getting. But maybe we are not targeting right?

Thanks for your help!

Brian

https://twitter.com/bmcdermott1

Re: Adwords Telling me Play Store is a bad quality landing Page - Help

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Sounds a bit odd with low quality for app page, but I am not sure you should pay so much attention to it, or that it had a great impact on your CPA.

"then our CTR and Impressions dropped off significantly"

That hadn´t much to do with your landing page, but rather with your targeting and your creatives.

CTR, however, has a great impact on quality score, and I´d guess that your "massive increase in CPA" probably had a lot to do with not so good targeting and ads (with a double effect: low CTR, lowering QS thus lower AdRank; at the same time as you´re getting the "wrong" persons to your app page, not converting, thus making your CPA rocketing).

What do you think of this theory?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David,

Sorry for the lateness of my reply and thanks for yours!

I think your're probably right. We actually paired the campaigns back and are focused only topics at the moment with no other targeting.  I'm fairly new to display (always worked in pure PPC before)  so the variety of targeting methods for display does make it somewhat hard to get to grips with.

Using only topic trageting maybe too wide a net. What do you think?

Campaign settings at the moment

Type: Display Network Only

Desktops & laptops, mobile devices and tablets

Operating System = Android

Device Models = Nexus 7 and Samsung Tabs(All)

Target Locations

UK
US
Ireland
Canada
Australia

Bidding and Budget

Focus on Clicks + Automatic Bidding

CPC Limit - €.50

Budget - €200p/d

Display Network

Topics Only

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

Using only topic trageting maybe too wide a net. What do you think?

That depends. What topics are you targeting?

Start with bids about a quarter of what you have on search to start with.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Brian,

Have you tried the App Promotion ads by Adwords rather than just using the Text ads?

Check out this link: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2549053?hl=en

Let me know if you have already done this thing.

Thanks
Daman

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Howdy,

We are indeed using the new app ads with some decent impressions and CTR
but still relatively low conversion rates Smiley Surprised(

--
Regards
Brian McDermott
+ 353 87 9458 459
Follow Us

--

Follow Us on LinkedIn

*www.openmindnetworks.com/about-us/contact-us*

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Brian,

Okay so as you have already started the Click to Download ads. Now your aim is to get the conversions.

In order to do that, I prefer using the Both Search and Display Networks. Keywords for search and banner ads and text ads for your Display ad Campaigns. Here are some points you need to take care of:

• It will be great if you will add the Pricing of your app in your banners and text ads to drive only the persons who are willing to purchase the app at that price.
  • You can add the competitors app names in your Keywords and can also show your display ads in the competitor applications OR Similar applications in your category by selecting the placements.
  • You should also market your app to the users who are having the eligibility to install the app. e.g. if your app requires Android 4.0 ICS OR higher version, then there is not much benefit showing your ads to persons who doesn't fit your eligibility criteria. Select the adwords version while setting up the campaign. Go to Campaigns Tab -> Select Display Campaign -> Mobile App. Now Under the Devices Option click Advanced Mobile and Tablet Options. Select the Operating Systems which you want your app to be advertised.
  • Also select the devices you want to market. Sometimes the ad only work on iPads OR Tables. So select the Devices where you want to run your ads. Follow same steps as in above mentioned point. Select Devices option.
  • Should have the conversion tracking installed to track the profits.
  • You can select the placements by adding the category of the application OR by searching the apps and selecting them in your placements.
  • Check your reports and exclude the placements which are not working.
  • If you are having more than 30 Conversions in past 30 days, then you can also use the conversion optimizer settings.

Please let me know if this worked for you. Also feel free to reach me out on Skype.

Thanks

Daman

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Daman,

Thanks for the great feedback. I'll give it all a shot and let you know how it goes. We were using both search and display initially but due to the issues above we paired everything down to a simpler format as I outlined above. The idea being we would start building it up with additional targeting etc as time went by.

We are targeting only Android  and Mobile.  Our app is really only for Android Tablet users who want to to SMS from their tablet. So they need to pair their devices through out app.  I was actually worried that going so granular was having a negative effect.

Thanks!!!