AdWords
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords SUDDENLY - after years, not meeting budget.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Suddenly on April 1st and 2nd 2013 - Adwords has been unable to serve up enough ads to meet my budget, seeing a more than 50% decrease in that budget. I am an experienced Adwords user since Adwords began, with a budget of $200+ per day. No changes have been made to any campaign. ALL metrics remain approximately the same proportionally to that budget. CTR is up from last month compared to April 1 and 2 (.92 to 1.52). CPC is down (.20 to .15). Average position is the same (4.8).

Big difference is lower budget drops number of clicks which will result in lower conversions...I believe, as the stats for conversions on the 1st and 2nd are not on screen yet.

Average number of clicks per day in March ( and lately) is 1027 and the last two days is a little over 600.

I want my clicks back and would like to increase my budget, What happened?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords SUDDENLY - after years, not meeting budget.

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

competition? search volume drop? I know your campaign has long history so a dramatic search volume drop is unlikely to be something you have not previous seen due to some degree of seasonality. Have you taken a look at your impression share metrics or perhaps the auction insights to see if you have some new and significant competition?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi David and welcome to the Community.  It's very difficult to guess at the cause without seeing the Account and looking at all the factors that could contribute to this.  As David-Ray has suggested I think new competition is one likely possibility but I'd also be looking at seasonal variations.  How did the Account perform last Easter - and I do specifically mean Easter (Easter Monday was the 9th in 2012), not the 1st & 2nd of April?

I have to say that if you have an average position that low, you're always open to quite dramatic shifts in impressions.  An average of 4.8 suggests that your Ads might often slip below the 1st page so it wouldn't take very much of a nudge to make that "often" become "frequently".  The same could be said about the low CTR figures, although there are no hard and fast rules, a figure of less than 1% is really quite poor for the Search network and I'm rarely happy with anything less than 5% unless there's a good reason.

In summary I think it's either new competition, seasonal variation, or both.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks David Ray and Cobnut for your reply. I have no other seasonal difference where the budget was unable to be filled by this amount. The 1st was down by more than 50% and yesterday was down by 67%. Last Easter showed no difference at all. Budget was used up.

I am very aware of my competition and there is no new competition I can see in the last two days.

My CTR is fine for me as I look at it as being listed in the 1st or 2nd position on the right column of paid ads. It gets me the traffic I need.

Regardless, nothing has changed from the metrics other than I cannot get my budget spent.

Going from a usual >1000 clicks per day...everyday...to 600 on the 1st and 500 yesterday...is quite a shock.

Only silver lining is : I'm spending 1/3 of what I used to spend for 1/2 of the usual clicks. Very nice, but I would like to increase my budget and was working to do that slowly.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi, David.

Do you have any phone numbers in your ads? Did you get any messages about dissapproved ads? Or do you see any in your interface if you filter for that status?

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi David,

"My CTR is fine for me as I look at it as being listed in the 1st or 2nd position on the right column of paid ads. It gets me the traffic I need."

I think you mean Av. Position here.  I must admit although I'm a big big fan of not chasing the #1 spot I personally would be looking to go a bit higher than an average of 4.8.  That's only even close to the top-right if there are Top position Ads, if there aren't - and there aren't always - it's way down the page.  It's also true of course that if the Ads were higher, they'd be clicked more often, the CTR would be higher and you'd get your missing clicks...

J

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Negative to AdWiser's questions.

Cobnut: Correct, I meant Avg Position. Nonetheless, I'm not worried about my position in this question. All things remain the same. No changes and Adwords can't serve up my budget. All of a sudden. Just trying to figure out what happened April 1st.

As far as position, if you Google "irritable bowel syndrome diet", I am in the 2nd from the top position on the right...or #5 if you count the top three in the center (www.drdahlman.com/irritablebowelsyndiet). Just my way of looking at things. I have played with higher bids for better position, but have reached this formula for best results compared to budget.

What's a Cobnut?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Not to mention my Adsense revenue is also down by 33% the last two days. Sheesh.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Try to use Auction Insights, and if there's enough traffic for that keyword you can see, on a day by day basis, how your Impression share, Avg. position, Overlap rate, Position above rate, Top of page rate have varied.

See who your competition was, day by day, and what happened (if anything extraordinary) on April 1st.

It won't work if there's not enough search volume though, so you might have to choose a longer period before April 1st and compare with April 1-2 (if you have enough volume).

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Also, trying to avoid Dynamic Keywords Insertion and writing more meaningful ads may help in gaining additional positions merely by an increase in CTR and QS, without having to pay more.

While testing with the AdWords Ad Preview Tool, your ad showed in the following positions: 6-5-6-6-5-6-5-6 and I stopped.