AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Negative Keyword List

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Support,

I just had a question regarding the working of the negative words in the adwords campaign. I read many articles blogs and forums. Some said its a myth some said its a fact. So for this question I need an answer from Google Adwords Employee or any person who is related to Google Adwords.

My question is How Negative Keywords Work?

1) Someone said Negative Broad works exactly as the broad match type keyword, Is it true?

2) If I have keyword coupon, download as negative, will it prevent my ad to show up on the plural types like coupons & downloads?

3) Considering the same scenario, will my ads be prevented on the misspelled words like copons, downlods etc.

I'm looking forward for a detailed answer on this. thanks in advance

Regards

Bipin

1 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rhys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Adwords Negative Keyword List

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Bipin,

Welcome To Adwords Community!

1) Someone said Negative Broad works exactly as the broad match type keyword, Is it true?

When u add broad match negative match type keyword as negative it will block all the queries that contain negative term in search query.

2) If I have keyword coupon, download as negative, will it prevent my ad to show up on the plural types like coupons & downloads?

No, you need to add plurals and misplells manually if you are adding coupon and download as negatives. you also need to add couponsn downloads, downloading etc as negative term.

3) Considering the same scenario, will my ads be prevented on the misspelled words like copons, downlods etc.

No, you need to add them manually.

Read more on negative keywords here. You will find more interesting and useful wiki articles at Adwords Wiki section above.

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author vsingh
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads-manage-account/Creating-plurals-in-Negative-keywo...

check response by G representative

Thanks
Neha
Neha Gupta, AdWordsTop Contributor Follow Me: My Blog | Twitter | Google+ | LinkedIn
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rhys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello Bipin,

Welcome To Adwords Community!

When u add broad match negative match type keyword as negative it will block all the queries that contain negative term in search query.

No, you need to add plurals and misplells manually if you are adding coupon and download as negatives. you also need to add couponsn downloads, downloading etc as negative term.

No, you need to add them manually.

Read more on negative keywords here. You will find more interesting and useful wiki articles at Adwords Wiki section above.

Thanks

Neha Gupta

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Neha,

Thanks for the quality reply Smiley Happy Even my thinking was the same, after all I also have been working for the Adwords or (SEM) industry from past 6 1/2 years.

But I need the same reply from a Google Adwords Representative, then only my client will believe it otherwise he will not believe the suggestions from experts like you and me.

Anyways thanks for the answer. Will look forward for more help or suggestions if required in future.

Regards

Bipin Singh

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author vsingh
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
https://www.en.adwords-community.com/t5/Manage-ads-manage-account/Creating-plurals-in-Negative-keywo...

check response by G representative

Thanks
Neha

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks a ton Neha. It really helped Smiley Happy