Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Landing Page Experience - Below Average

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

We are a ZIP Code Database company and are experiencing a problem with our keywords. For example, our most popular key word "zip code database" has an above average Expected Click Through Rate and Ad Relevance. However the Landing Page Experience is Below Average and I'm trying to understand why.

This is the page you will land on when searching for zip code database: https://www.zip-codes.com/zip-code-database.asp

A couple of weeks ago I spoke to an AdWords representative and they said the only thing they could think of is that we had too many links on the page. We removed the link and still there is no change. Any idea what else could be causing this problem?

Thank you for your time.

Jennifer

1 Expert replyverified_user

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Landing page experience can be a tricky one to figure out.  It may not be this simple, but...

My guess it is because the page is light on text and to Google's bots, likely looks like just a linked list. I would try introducing a 400-500 word intro paragraph with about 5% keyword density, closely related to the keyword sending ppc traffic to the page. Make sure there are H1 and H2 titles with or closely related to the keyword.  Use the keyword in the alt text for an image.  

Make sure there is an obvious contact link on the page. The page loads fast, that's a plus.  They also look at what the links on the page relate to.  

Others may have more suggestions, that is just one shot at it.  And like i said, figuring out how Google assesses ppc "landing page experience" is tricky; there are quite a few opinions and schools of thought as to how Google weighs landing pages; and it is always changing. 

This article may prove helpful:

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404197?co=ADWORDS.IsAWNCustomer%3Dfalse&hl=en

hth

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Steve!

Re: Adwords Landing Page Experience - Below Average

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

also, the text looks rather small at a 100% zoom on a typical desktop;
also, greenish-text on a greenish background seems difficult to read --
similarly, with the blue-on-blue text/background.

navigation and overall experience should be user-friendly across devices.

navigation and user experience can be critical factors --
google is getting better and better at detecting such
shortcomings, beyond the important text-related factors.

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

You're welcome, Jennifer.  Also see the excellent insights offered by resident Genius @Celebird -- those are important factors too. 

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Celebird!