3.5K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Express outperforming Adwords!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
I took over an account recently that was using Adwords Express. I created some campaigns for him targeting same keywords and the result has been.

• cost went from ~$0.65 to ~$1.25 per click on average
  • client getting less phone calls and results in general
I added more keywords based on the exact search phrases I was seeing in Adwords Express, turned on Search Partners after realizing the bulk of his Adwords Express traffic had been coming from Partner Sites, but that didn't seem to help either. What is the difference here do you think?

We turned off campaigns this week and turned Adwords Express back on as a test. We seem to be getting the better results again. In Adwords Express, he's getting a high percentage of smartphone/tablet traffic (82%) and Partner Site traffic (77%). In regular Adwords, the traffic has been 60-70% smartphone/tablet and only 5% Search Partners traffic.

It seems Adwords Express is tapping deeper into the search partners network that Adwords. Why would this be? There's no way to force Adwords to go after more search partners traffic that I know of.

My other thought is that Express is more on automatic bidding to maximize within a budget and is hitting partner sites more for cheaper clicks. While Adwords is on a manual CPC and I've had to raise to $1.82 max to get volume. I could try "Maximize Clicks" in Adwords to see if that makes a difference and increases search partner traffic.

What could cause this difference? Anyone seen something like this?
1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @WebEminence,

AdWords Express is more automated and does not rely on your/ours/human input and decisions. 

In other words, you are playing chess with a machine... and the machine's skills seem to be one step ahead of yours. I say this kindhearted, not meaning you do not have the skills, so please see the meaning in my message here. 

With that said, AdWords can outplay AdWords Express. Its just a matter of building the better mousetrap. Okay, enough with the analogies.

Keep in mind that AdWords is very complex and has endless features to use well, not use, or use completely wrongly. One can supersede another and three features can counter ten. It can only perform as well as the input (and limitations) we give it, as the operator.

In contrast, AdWords Express is very simple... and it's fully automated by Google's A.I. It's designed to calculate the best way to get the best results (just like we do with AdWords, as humans), as the operator.

So, you would want to aim to raise the quality score of everything in AdWords... and diversify more with display and search ads to gain more focused clicks for less money. If the budget stays the same and we spend more per click, we know that AdWords Express is going to beat us with engagement. And we know that more engagement should lead to more actions. And more actions should lead to more conversions for our clients. And we have to consider that if AdWords Express account is more mature and the AdWords account is new... we are comparing apples to oranges (dangit, more analogies). New accounts have a mean curve to learn and adapt and dial in performance.

Thanks for thinking along with me.

Kind Regards,

James    

Re: Adwords Express outperforming Adwords!

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

James, thanks for the thoughtful reply. However, I was hoping to not get a conceptual reply like that. I understand the high level difference between Adwords & Adwords Express. The latter being more automatic and probably an entirely different system compared to Adwords. But they are working on the same networks so I have to believe I can get similar results easily and outperform Adwords Express with some effort and optimization. There are a lot of things that I have the same between the two systems that can probably be eliminated as factors. For example.

• similar budget
  • Same exact geo target
  • Call extensions and Location extensions in Adwords (to match the phone and map capabilities of Express)
  • Same keywords (I'm targeting more keywords in Adwords but making sure I'm targeting the keywords that are getting clicks in Express)
  • Same networks (search & partner network) - as I said in my first post, Express is getting a lot of partner searches so I'm pretty sure this is a key difference

Some other thoughts:

1. Maybe I'll try turning on Display Select - Maybe Adwords Express is getting some volume from Dispay network impressions that I'm missing out on in Adwords. They don't tell me this in the Adwords Express dashboard
  2. I can also try Automatic Bidding rather than Manual CPC. Automatic may use a system that works more like Adwords Express where we just set a monthly budget.
  3. The Mobile checkbox in the Call Extensions is supposed to give more preference for call extensions in Mobile. Checking that could improve performance in Adwords considering Express is getting a high percentage of impressions in Mobile.

What do you think? I've emailed my Adwords rep to get input from them as well.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I do understand my reply was not what you wanted to hear, however the answer to your inquiry is in it. You have zero'd in on a lot of it, too, in your reply... so you are on the right track with it all. Yes, do all three of your ideas.

Cheers,

James

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I was also Googling around for such similar experience you had. I'm getting the same for my client too. And here are my learnings:

Adwords Express is giving good results over Adwords:

1. Express works automatically & Google knows about whatever the industry it is for which user has started the project.

2. However, in Adwords, we need to setup our own experience and build historical data. And later, basing on that Google gives you the result.

3. Quality Score: Adwords completely works on Quality Score for better results.

For a website developed on WIX plateforms, OR PARALLAX website it is hard to achieve optimum Quality Score. Thus, it will hamper your results anyway.

4. Maximize Clicks in Adwords will be a BAD idea if you feel it will help you to get more targetted clicks. Further optimizations will be required. So initially, you can start with maximize clicks to get more clicks and once you achieve a certain number of conversions then switch to any of the automated bidding strategies.

5. Display Network will make it worse, it will raise clicks, definitely, but you'll hardly get conversions.