Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Campaign - I'm Dying Here!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey guys, 

First time poster here. I'm on these forums all the time reading what people have to say and I appreciate everything thats out there. 

I'm a currently dying. Not literally but finacially. I've been using adwords for 2 months now. and recently I;ve opted out of using the display network and also automatic bidding. I am a Locksmith servicing the metro-detroit area and the first 5 or 6 weeks were wonderful. I was getting calls left and right and making a profitable income for the week, but then I noticed how much I was spending on display network and saw what apps and websites my money was going into. So I did manual placments where my business would be seen on local sites like manta and yelp. Ive gone from having 30 clicks a day and soending 30-50$ to now only have 1-5 clicks and spending 5-50$ and those clicks are bringing me 0 income! I'm so lost. 

Do I go back to the old setup with automatic bidding and display network? Would my service really benefit people using the angry birds ap or fingerprint scanner? I'm in such a jam. If this continues what should I do. 

If you need more info please let me know. 

Your Dying adwords campainger,

Mark

3 Expert replyverified_user
4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Adwords Campaign - I'm Dying Here!

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm not an expert in the locksmith industry but if I had to guess I would think that someone needing a locksmith would go looking for one before seeing an ad while browsing and then decide that they need a locksmith.

It would be good to know how your search campaigns are doing as well.

Search is probably where I would focus my efforts with a separate campaign for mobile.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Welcome to our community,

I am wondering how competitive do you bid?  Do you bid differently on each of your keywords?

There are consequences you have to realize in AdWords.If your ad rank Maximum CPC X Quality Score is not on a good standing, this will really cost you higher especially if you keep on adjusting your bids everytime it signals you that your keywords are below first page bid.

I understand your move of wanting to be shown on people who have the highest success rate perceived.I once excluded multiple automatic placements who most likely will not convert! The reason behnd is I want to save this clicks and target to people who show need or interest on my services.

Let us investigate further your situation.

1.Please look on the dimension tab (Time,day)

2.Add column for lost IS Rank

Let us observe the trend of your clicks,ctr,average CPC and cost. If you may post the screenshot, that would help.

More Power,
Loraine

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

There are some great thoughts here, hopefully they will help! 

I would tend to agree, opting out of display and focusing on your search campaigns is probably the best way forward here. I would also recommend looking up your Search Terms report. This is a report that shows you all the terms that people typed into Google when they saw your ad and clicked on it. This is a great place to look to try and find good keywords to add to your campaign as well as to find negative keywords (words that won't cause your ad to show) that you can then add to your campaign. This is important as it will ensure that your ads show to the right people who are more likely to become your customers. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Yup, I agree, get off the display network and concentrate on search only for now (no partners).   You were getting clicks cheaper when you were showing up on sites that are not competitive and when you started targeting more on sites with competition you saw the Max CPC’s increase.

I would create two campaigns.

1 computers - search network

2 mobile - search network

Mobile advertising behaves a little differently than computer.  The bids may differ, the ads can look a little different, the sitelink limits differ.  I think you may be able get a good deal of mobile traffic – especially if you are unlocking autos, or front doors, so a mobile segmented campaign would be a good idea.  You can setup a call metrics extension and set it to mobile click to call and people on their mobiles will automatically call you. 

A little more on a couple of the differences I mentioned above:

-  Sitelinks on search are usually maxed out at 4 and on mobile it is 2.  If you have a call extension then you can only have 1 sitelink on mobile.

-  Bidding is often different on mobile vs computers due to competition.

I would make sure you have a Places account running and use the Places Extension in AdWords to let people searching know you are a local business.  I know they are not coming to you but it helps to build trust that you are there and you will be out to see them soon.  See the Ad Extensions Tab > Location Extension or try it here:

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Mark,

Welcome to the Community!

I'm not an expert in the locksmith industry but if I had to guess I would think that someone needing a locksmith would go looking for one before seeing an ad while browsing and then decide that they need a locksmith.

It would be good to know how your search campaigns are doing as well.

Search is probably where I would focus my efforts with a separate campaign for mobile.

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Welcome to our community,

I am wondering how competitive do you bid?  Do you bid differently on each of your keywords?

There are consequences you have to realize in AdWords.If your ad rank Maximum CPC X Quality Score is not on a good standing, this will really cost you higher especially if you keep on adjusting your bids everytime it signals you that your keywords are below first page bid.

I understand your move of wanting to be shown on people who have the highest success rate perceived.I once excluded multiple automatic placements who most likely will not convert! The reason behnd is I want to save this clicks and target to people who show need or interest on my services.

Let us investigate further your situation.

1.Please look on the dimension tab (Time,day)

2.Add column for lost IS Rank

Let us observe the trend of your clicks,ctr,average CPC and cost. If you may post the screenshot, that would help.

More Power,
Loraine
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee

There are some great thoughts here, hopefully they will help! 

I would tend to agree, opting out of display and focusing on your search campaigns is probably the best way forward here. I would also recommend looking up your Search Terms report. This is a report that shows you all the terms that people typed into Google when they saw your ad and clicked on it. This is a great place to look to try and find good keywords to add to your campaign as well as to find negative keywords (words that won't cause your ad to show) that you can then add to your campaign. This is important as it will ensure that your ads show to the right people who are more likely to become your customers. 

Hope this helps!

A. 

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Yup, I agree, get off the display network and concentrate on search only for now (no partners).   You were getting clicks cheaper when you were showing up on sites that are not competitive and when you started targeting more on sites with competition you saw the Max CPC’s increase.

I would create two campaigns.

1 computers - search network

2 mobile - search network

Mobile advertising behaves a little differently than computer.  The bids may differ, the ads can look a little different, the sitelink limits differ.  I think you may be able get a good deal of mobile traffic – especially if you are unlocking autos, or front doors, so a mobile segmented campaign would be a good idea.  You can setup a call metrics extension and set it to mobile click to call and people on their mobiles will automatically call you. 

A little more on a couple of the differences I mentioned above:

-  Sitelinks on search are usually maxed out at 4 and on mobile it is 2.  If you have a call extension then you can only have 1 sitelink on mobile.

-  Bidding is often different on mobile vs computers due to competition.

I would make sure you have a Places account running and use the Places Extension in AdWords to let people searching know you are a local business.  I know they are not coming to you but it helps to build trust that you are there and you will be out to see them soon.  See the Ad Extensions Tab > Location Extension or try it here:

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Clink Digital Marketing
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'