AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Beginner's Luck?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

When we first started a campaign we had lots of clicks, 6 relevant phone calls, and 2 new clients for my new grant writing business - all within a week. Then, all of a sudden, lots of clicks almost each day but no calls, no clients, nothing. Anyone have any ideas on what I should consider to de-mystify this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adwords Beginner's Luck?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

A few quick thoughts:

You're a new entrant to the market (how exciting for potential customers who are tired of the same old players)

Competition (You're being beaten down in the auction from higher positions to lower)

The numbers could be averaging themselves out

Keywords paused

Changed ads

Beginners luck...aka pt #3 Smiley Happy

Hard to say without a account deep dive.,

JH

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks J - all good thoughts to consider and one of them has me thinking twice ...

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

I'd also like to point out that when a new campaign is launched, there's an initial flurry of activity as the AdWords system serves the ads rapidly to decide where the "baseline" for performance is going to be. To establish any necessary adjustments for keyword quality scores, etc. 

Because of that, it's not at all unusual for a brand-new campaign to produce results in the first few days that aren't duplicated in the following weeks.  

What you need to do is to be encouraged to know that that kind of result is possible. Analyze the data from those first few days in depth to see where your ads were showing--what search queries were triggering them, what ad messaging people clicked on, what page on your website produced the conversions, etc. Then try to work on your campaign to maximize your reach for similar traffic.

Good luck!

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

look at the matched search queries.

they will give you the details about what people were searching for when they came to your site.

you will be able to see if the type of searches you're getting traffic for has changed.

to do this from google analytics: go to traffic sources-> advertising -> matched search queries

to do it from adwords, go to keywords -> keyword details-> all

p.s. beginner's luck is a thing, i've experienced it a number of times

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Theresa, very helpful.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks. Especially for the directions and heads-up on beginner's luck!