AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adwords Account Campaign "Pause" and "un-Pause" - Long Term Effects

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Google Community,

I am looking for some professional input on the effects of pausing and un-pausing account campaigns. 

I manage 20 automotive dealership accounts for a large dealer group. In the middle of the previous month all accounts/campaigns were paused to enforce an opex (operational expenditure) over spend on certain dealerships. The pause was 5 days at the most for some accounts and only 1 day on others. At the time of the "google gate" lol, we saw little to no effect on the performance of incoming internet leads and website traffic. Now, we are almost at the mid point of the next month and all traffic has dropped and all internet leads have declined as well. My questions are; Is the decline in traffic associated with the mid month pause from the previous month? Is it because all campaigns were removed from the auction network and placed back in, basically starting everything over? or, what would be your advise or thoughts?

2 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @David W,

Pausing a campaign should maintain your quality score and other important aspects.

We sometimes have to pause a campaign for a week and it generally takes hours (not days) for actions to crank back up. So, your pauses for 1 day or 5 days really should not be at play with your performance concerns.  

With that said, pausing a campaign can "break the sail speed" it obtained during the buildup and operation of the campaign over the long term. So, you would have to build the energy back up (quite possibly). The other factors you are experiencing is with a change in the live auction participants, seasonal cycles, budgeting changes, etc. 

If you have everything back on, budgets are strong, and nothing else was changed... things should resume. Have you looked at the history of the accounts to make sure someone else did not change something you were unaware of? 

Kind Regards,

James

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

@David W

I would say yes. AdWords is a kind of system which prefers a steady state and gradual changes. Sudden / step changes cause the system a transition period once the campaign re-launch. I would either stop the campaign gardualy, or lower the budget, but I would not pause the campaign completely.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks again!

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Happens every time. Now instead of pausing campaign, we set schedule to 15 minutes during Sunday night ~3am. Works like a charm.