2.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adword Position

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Logging into AdWords it says my ad positions range from 1.8-2.2, but when I Google the keyword for the ad, they show up off to the side at position 4. Has anyone experienced this? My max bid per keyword is over the actual amount the ad costs per click.

What causes the adwords to show up differently from the average position?

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Adword Position

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello SEOWizard; welcome;

This is a nice question;

Let start by saying that you should check your ad's appearances using the ad-preview tool; Running a Google search tends to bias the results, since a cookie records ad's impressions on your browser. (And at some point stops showing it, if not clicked.)

Back to your question: what is the average of positions 1+ 4 ? Or 1+3 ?(When Google shows only two ads above the search results.)

The average position is a misleading metric as long as Google does not report the margin of error.!

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello SEOWizard; welcome;

This is a nice question;

Let start by saying that you should check your ad's appearances using the ad-preview tool; Running a Google search tends to bias the results, since a cookie records ad's impressions on your browser. (And at some point stops showing it, if not clicked.)

Back to your question: what is the average of positions 1+ 4 ? Or 1+3 ?(When Google shows only two ads above the search results.)

The average position is a misleading metric as long as Google does not report the margin of error.!

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Here is a clearer explanation from Adwords Help: http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722122?ctx=tltp

Understanding ad position and Ad Rank