Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Advice for managing a website redesign from a QS point of view

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Afternoon all,

We're going to be launching a website redesign in the coming months and I wanted to see if anyone had gone through this and they're managing the URL changes.

Our URL structure is changing somewhat but everything is going to be set up with a 301 so, theoretically, we can move through the launch without making any changes to our ads.

We are very active as far as ad testing goes and are rewriting, amending, optimising our ads continually so there are going to be plenty of opportunities to update the URLs which we currently plan to do as and when tests finish rather than amending every ad URL and hitting "POST".

I'm expecting a QS boost from our new website as it will be both more relevant and SiteSpeed is going to be much improved, so the question I have is it worth amending URLs straight away and trying to accelerate that boost?

Bit of a rambling question but hopefully someone will have had some experience along the same lines!

Thanks

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Advice for managing a website redesign from a QS point of view

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Will, great question.

Personally I'd be inclined to try and get the URLs "right" first time rather than rely upon redirects and change them as and when.  Bear in mind that every time you edit an Ad you effectively delete the old one and create a new one so all your history is lost which could impact your QS and will certainly impact your ability to tune performance manually.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Will;

Keep in mind that the predominant component of QS is CTR, which comes before the landing page. So, improving the QS must go through (relatively) higher CTR.

As Jon, I also prefer to first use redirect and separately set (at my time - without time pressure)  new ad-groups with the new URL and only after some time pause the old ad-groups and activate the new ones.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Will,

I'll throw in my two cents worth here, too. If you have good QS with good ad relevancy but new landing pages, I would let them run on the redirect for a period of time. This should have the effect of retaining your keyword QS and ad relevancy with the hope of getting a better landing page experience score, which should lead to a better QS for your keywords.

I'd give the system 2 or 3 weeks to assimilate the changes then edit your ads for the new destination URL's. Another option is to create new ads with the new URL's and run them along side the re-directed URL's. This should give the new destinations a chance to get scores.

Be sure to redirect all your pages, not just the landing pages, to retain any organic rank you have as well.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Morning all,

Thanks for all your responses, much appreciated.

As expected, looks like there's no single ideal way of doing it but feel confident in our strategy going into it.

If I find the time (and remember!) I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
Will