AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Advertising on the Display Network

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have been running the same display ad for the past few months. The first time it ran we had a clear spike in the  number of visitors and number of sales from our website. Since then the ad does not appear to be producing the same results.

I chose the display network because of the ad being an image ad. The picture of what the product can do is more explanatory then just words. Plus it illustrates the uniqueness of the product.

I am not clear on how key words can be used in an image ad and the google support person was not really helpful to me on this point.

Is there anything I should be doing. I have tried various daily budgets from $ 5 per day to $ 10 per day with no difference in results. Although it should be noted that the first time it ran where the results were good I was running on a $ 5 per day budget.

2 Expert replyverified_user
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Advertising on the Display Network

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Benita,

Welcome to the Community!

Google has a nice list of Display Campaign Optimization tasks you can start with here:  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2549129

Also, there have been many discussions here about Display Network and associated best practices too, give the search box at the top of the community homepage a try.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: Display Network - contextual targeting

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Benita;

Quote:

I am not clear on how key words can be used in an image ad and the google support person was not really helpful to me on this point.

In simple words (not to get the topic complicated - because it is ... Smiley Happy)

Adwords needs to find relevant websites for your picture. This is done by what is known as contextual targeting: the content of websites is matched with a given set of keywords (you provide), to find the best match between the content of a website and your keywords. If a "match" is found - your ad takes part in an auction for a slot (to appear) on that website.

Read more:

How contextual targeting works

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Benita,

Welcome to the Community!

Google has a nice list of Display Campaign Optimization tasks you can start with here:  http://support.google.com/adwords/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2549129

Also, there have been many discussions here about Display Network and associated best practices too, give the search box at the top of the community homepage a try.

Hope this helps!

-Tom

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Benita

What do you mean by the ad does not appear to be producing the same results ??

In percentage, how much less is impressions, clicks and sales?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Re: Display Network - contextual targeting

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello Benita;

Quote:

In simple words (not to get the topic complicated - because it is ... Smiley Happy)

Adwords needs to find relevant websites for your picture. This is done by what is known as contextual targeting: the content of websites is matched with a given set of keywords (you provide), to find the best match between the content of a website and your keywords. If a "match" is found - your ad takes part in an auction for a slot (to appear) on that website.

Read more:

How contextual targeting works

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’