AdWords
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Advertising a new invention that nobody searches for.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've invented a product that didn't exist before so nobody searches for one. It's called a Carria and it provides a handle for carrying a case of drinks like beer. I'm putting an ad on Google pointing to a video on YouTube. I want to target keywords that my prospective buyers might search for like camping equipment, car parts, football, hunting etc. But Adwords click prices for first page in those categories are over $3. Do I just have to accept that or is there a better way? Maybe being on a lower page doesn't matter because I'm not competing with the advertisers of for example camping equipment, but does anyone look at 2nd or 3rd pages? Obviously relevance of my keywords to the ad is very low but what else can I do? Nobody searches for "a thing to carry a pack of 24 bottles of beer with one hand."

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Advertising a new invention that nobody searches for.

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hello Michael K,

Maybe the Display network something for you. And can you place ads on websites that have themes with visitors that could be interested in your product.

Read more about this:
http://www.google.com/ads/displaynetwork/index.html
http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2456531?hl=en 

http://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2404190?hl=en&ref_topic=3121944 

** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Michael,

you're right - no-one is going to search for somehting they don't know exisits - which is why Elja's suggestion makes the most sense.

you need to develop sone display ads - I've looked at some of the photos on your site and the good thing is that the product is "obvious" at first glance - you look at it and it makes sense - you just know what it's for.

so an image ad could be quite powerful in the sesne that someone seeing that image will immediately identify with the problem - if they've had that problem before (if that makes sense).

There are some obvious sectors, camping as you mentioned, for example. And there are going to be camping websites that will take display ads. This is what Elja is referring to.

Often the best way to start is to run ads based on interests. Once you start to get some traffic, look for those sites which are performing well for you and separate them out into a set of managed placements where you can increase the budgets and the bids.

I find that running a broader - lower budget - display campaign as a feeder for my managed placements works quite well.

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 4
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi Steve,
Thanks for explaining more. In this case I had some trouble to find the right words in English.
** I´am learning Adwords and find it very interesting.
** Ik ben Adwords aan het leren en vind het erg boeiend.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
A perfect example of using the display network, preferably image ads instead of text.

First, create ads, both text and images, to be used on the display network. You mention the many different people who could use your product such as campers, hunters, football players. Create ads for each group, not generic ones.

Then, find sites on the network catering to each group. Target those sites and show appropriate ads for that group.

You may want a separate landing page depending on who you're targeting. But you should be able to have a generic page with all those examples and show the different ways your product can be used.

Now, watch all those clicks coming in and sales being made.