AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Advantages / Disadvantages of More Specific Phrases?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I like using phrase match for keyword targeting in my campaigns. My question is what are the advantages/disadvantages of including  more specific phrases within an ad group? For example, if I am targeting in my adgroup keywords "tennis shoes", should I also target "black tennis shoes"? Or is their no point in specificing "black tennis shoes" since "tennis shoes" is part of that phrase?

2 Expert replyverified_user
5 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Advantages / Disadvantages of More Specific Phrases?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Often times "black Tennis shoes" may convert differently than "tennis shoes". Therefore, if there is a significant amount of volume for black tennis shoes over "tennis shoes", you will want to bid on/manage it separately.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 4
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

There is a great point to add same keyword with different match type in the same ad ad group (or even different ad groups) as it will

a) increase transparency at ad group level in your account. You will not have to run search term report as often to find out what people actually searched for.

b) increase bidding options and control (probably your exact matched keyword gives you more valuable customer and therefor you want to bid higher on that)

c) aloow you to write even more targeted ads

Disadvantages: your account structure grows ever more complex.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello.

Let's consider the following scenario: you're using the keyword "tennis shoes", and people keep searching for "black tennis shoes", "white tennis shoes", "cheap tennis shoes", etc. Though all these search queries match your keyword, and your ad shows, the CTR they're getting does not improve / hurt the quality score of the "tennis shoes" keyword. That's because the QS of a keyword is only affected by "exact match impressions" of that keyword. And your goal should be to raise the QS of your keywords and to try to get as close, with those keywords, to the search queries.

One way of seeing the fact that only the exact match influences QS is to place the same keywords, three times, in the same ad group. Once phrase, once exact, and once broad. Maybe even modified broad. You'll see that all four keywords have the QS of the exact match keyword.

So, getting back to your example, if black tennis shoes is what people search for, this should be your keyword, not a broader one. Of course, a broader keyword attracts other search queries, that you did not yet think of, and which can be turned into keywords via the Search Query report, as David rightly points out.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello mindflash1,

In addition to above great thoughts shared, I would also like to add about the new changes happened across phrase and exact match type keywords. Now based on the user query, Google will show your ads including close variants of your keywords like singular, plural etc...See this article for details.

Hence, it directly means that you will have broader options if you are running phrase and exact match type keywords for your campaigns. On the contrary, if you ever feel that close variants option is not for you, you can simply go to the campaign advanced settings and disable that option.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

"tennis shoes" will trigger your ad for "black tennis shoes" But if you have "black tennis shoes" as keyword then

1. if search query is "black tennis shoes" quality score for your ad will be higher 

2. if you are using DKI  again it will help more in CTR not in QS

3. If your landing page also says something about "black tennis shoes" it will help a great deal to have that as keyword

Hope it helps

Regards

Nik

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Often times "black Tennis shoes" may convert differently than "tennis shoes". Therefore, if there is a significant amount of volume for black tennis shoes over "tennis shoes", you will want to bid on/manage it separately.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
# 4
Zee Community Manager
Community Manager
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

There is a great point to add same keyword with different match type in the same ad ad group (or even different ad groups) as it will

a) increase transparency at ad group level in your account. You will not have to run search term report as often to find out what people actually searched for.

b) increase bidding options and control (probably your exact matched keyword gives you more valuable customer and therefor you want to bid higher on that)

c) aloow you to write even more targeted ads

Disadvantages: your account structure grows ever more complex.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hello.

Let's consider the following scenario: you're using the keyword "tennis shoes", and people keep searching for "black tennis shoes", "white tennis shoes", "cheap tennis shoes", etc. Though all these search queries match your keyword, and your ad shows, the CTR they're getting does not improve / hurt the quality score of the "tennis shoes" keyword. That's because the QS of a keyword is only affected by "exact match impressions" of that keyword. And your goal should be to raise the QS of your keywords and to try to get as close, with those keywords, to the search queries.

One way of seeing the fact that only the exact match influences QS is to place the same keywords, three times, in the same ad group. Once phrase, once exact, and once broad. Maybe even modified broad. You'll see that all four keywords have the QS of the exact match keyword.

So, getting back to your example, if black tennis shoes is what people search for, this should be your keyword, not a broader one. Of course, a broader keyword attracts other search queries, that you did not yet think of, and which can be turned into keywords via the Search Query report, as David rightly points out.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hello mindflash1,

In addition to above great thoughts shared, I would also like to add about the new changes happened across phrase and exact match type keywords. Now based on the user query, Google will show your ads including close variants of your keywords like singular, plural etc...See this article for details.

Hence, it directly means that you will have broader options if you are running phrase and exact match type keywords for your campaigns. On the contrary, if you ever feel that close variants option is not for you, you can simply go to the campaign advanced settings and disable that option.

Just a thought!

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It is only for your business improvement – If you pay some money to google adowrds then they will display your products in sponsored list, they will charge for every click from your daily budget, If you get Revenue On Investment its good for you, otherwise your money will be gone without benefit. It is not useful for website traffic, some unique view you will get only at that time.

Custom Website Design