Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ads not showing together

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Would like to get an expert advice from members please.

We're running campaigns for 2 clients - 2 very similar SMBs (auto repairs). Obviously 2 different AdWords accounts (because these are different business entities), but very similar campaigns with practically identical services to advertise, because both have very regular set of auto repair things to do, such as catalytic converter repair, transmission repair, engine repair, etc. etc. And what is also important, these 2 locations are located 0.5 from each other, i.e. we'll be targeting same geographical location.

Keywords and Bids are exactly the same for similar services.  Ad copy texts are also veeeery close. We also host very well converting landing pages for them and that looks very similar but yet differently. Destination URLs are different in the subdomain part (i.e. something like "aaa.domain.com/Auto_Service" and "bbb.domain.com/Auto_Svc"). 

QS are identical. So basically we can think of two clones, but for two different legal entities, so we're not violating the policy.

It would be naturally assume, that if someone searches for "catalytic converter repair near me", both ads will show up next to each other. But we see only one, and the second ad shows on the next page.

What are we doing wrong?

Thank you! 

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ads not showing together

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Well... to me it sounds (and I think we discussed this in the past) that Google has found that these accounts are owned by the same entity and hence  shows only one ad... (In other words: could it be a violation of the double serving"?)

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
What is the avg Position metrics showed in these accounts?

Try using ad preview tool inspite of looking for your ad on google.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I think similar landing pages is the issue. If it is double serving, AdWords would still show the ads together, but may eventually warn you about that as I understand it.

D
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dmitry P
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi Dmitry P,

There is a simple answer to your question, and it does not involve the double serving policy. You wrote "Destination URLs are different in the subdomain part (i.e. something like "aaa.domain.com/Auto_Service" and "bbb.domain.com/Auto_Svc"). "

Google will only show one ad for each top-level display domain. That means, specifically, only one of your account ads will be shown. If you want both ads to show, they need distinct top level domains. Hey, it doesn't cost that much to get a new domain name.

Best of Luck!

Pete
petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Oh, is this so? I wonder why Google states that it's ok to have blogspot's subdomains for ads. Does that mean that only one ad with blogspot subdomain destination URL will be shown also or blogspot is "whitelisted"?

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Wow, 2 different domains work! Two ads on the same page now next to each other.

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

My opinion on this case is different than of @petebardo;

Under the revised version of the "double serving":

>>" we generally discourage advertisers from running ads for the same or similar businesses across multiple accounts triggered by the same or similar keywords. This policy, known as "double serving," prevents multiple ads from the same or commonly-owned company from appearing on the same search results page."

@Dimitry; I think that you raised this point in a previous discussion.  I "sense" that there is a violation of the "double serving" in your case.

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Hi Dmitry P,

I'm not sure whether Google treats blogger or blogspot differently. I'm having trouble finding the proper documentation page for this.

As long as the businesses that own the web sites are completely separate units, you should not be in jeopardy of violating the double-serving policy.

Pete

petebardo -- Deadhead doing AdWords