AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ads for irrelevant Keywords in Adgroup

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Sometime to capture the lead we do use keywords which are not directly related to our business and website. For example- a loan modification lawyer may try to show ads to people who are searching for "loan calculator". There can be many such cases.

In that case,

1.- Should we use such (irrelevant) keywords in ads text/title to increase CTR or

2-use more accurate ads where CTR may be less but will get clicks only when someone is interested.

I go with 2nd case but what is there is very less clicks? Should we also go with first case also?

Need suggestion from practical experience. 

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anil_Singh
September 2015

Re: Ads for irrelevant Keywords in Adgroup

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand what you are saying and that is what many people think, use lateral keywords such as your great example. But in my experience, this usually produces poor results. Irrelevant keywords are named that for a reason. It's nearly impossible to get a good QS out of them and just drain your ROI. So not recommended.

What I do recommend trying is a content campaign. This service is something many could use so let people know you can help. Targeting news sites should be good for this.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Anil, interesting question.

The easy answer that springs to mind is that your Ad Copy - and landing page - should always be a good match for the Keyword.  In your case the landing page could be an issue, but you should I think always match the Ad Copy to the Keyword.

Personally I'd want to make really really sure these "irrelevant" Keywords were pulling their weight in terms of conversions (or more likely, assists).  Although I understand what you're doing, I think it's a risky policy that could be causing more overall harm to your Account than good.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Anil_Singh
September 2015

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

I understand what you are saying and that is what many people think, use lateral keywords such as your great example. But in my experience, this usually produces poor results. Irrelevant keywords are named that for a reason. It's nearly impossible to get a good QS out of them and just drain your ROI. So not recommended.

What I do recommend trying is a content campaign. This service is something many could use so let people know you can help. Targeting news sites should be good for this.