AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ads do not rotate evenly

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Ad rotation changed from Optimize for clicks to Rotate evenly 13 Mar 2016.

But in for example yesterday (2016 Mar 30) report 46.63% of served ads in a group (of 17 ads) belong to one particular ad.

I want to distribute evenly between all ads in the group (not one ad eating 50%), because accordingly to my expectation lower CTR may be associated with higher conversions. (I could set optimizing for conversions, but the numbers of conversions are too low for a meaningful statistics.)

Note that the ad, which eats 46.63% of served, does not posses the highest CTR. (Its CTR is 1.32%.) The highest CTR (2.40%) ad was served just 2.59% yesterday.

How to make ads rotate more evenly?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ads do not rotate evenly

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi there;

Straight from the horse's mouth:

>>"With the "Rotate evenly" and "Rotate indefinitely" options, the percentage of impressions for ads served in the ad group will be more even than the other ad rotation options. However, because the quality of the ads differ, and quality is used to determine where an ad shows, or if it even shows at all, the percentage of impressions for each ad may not be perfectly even. An ad with high quality may appear on the first page of search results, while an ad with low quality may show on the second page of search results, which reaches a smaller number of users.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6034106

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Should I consider disabling or removing the ad which eats half of the traffic in order to "help" other ads?

Is it a good idea?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hello again;

No. That would not change much.
My recommendation is to gain enough impressions  (at least a few thousands  for each ad - to get a statistically solid sampling),  and then to pause the worst performing ad (in terms of CTR).

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Disabling the high-volume ad would probably be self-destructive, because it's probably the highest quality (as in Quality Score) ad you have.

Here's the simple secret of ad rotation: "Rotate evenly" isn't guaranteeing the ads will serve equally -- it's promising they'll be entered into the same number of auctions. If the ads serve unequally, it's because some ads win more auctions than others.

Ad text is a factor in dynamic quality score -- the numbers calculated and used in realtime, not the approximations shown on the keywords tab. If you've got one ad showing that much more often, something about must be awesome, or you just really weird luck.

Killing your best ad will not magically make the other ones better. Sure, they'll enter more auctions, but there's no guarantee they'll win more auctions. You may end up with fewer impressions overall.

What do you think you gain by having 17 ads in one ad group rotating evenly, anyway? If we know your real plan here, we can tell you if this is even worth worrying about.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
I agree with the responses above. Personally, I'd pause the high volume ad for a couple of days to see if it makes any difference. Then check impression share numbers.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
This setting can help you in your case:
Select ""Rotate indefinitely: Show lower performing ads more evenly with higher performing ads, and do not optimize""
This should be selected for at-least a week. Analyze your data.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

Hi @Victor P probably the best way to force a 'real' even rotation is to use a script.  As it happens, I have one to hand that'll do exactly that (pasted at the end of this post).  Simply label all the Ads you want to be affected by the script with the label 'AdRotate' and then schedule the script to run hourly.  Each hour, the Ad with the least impressions will be enabled and all others paused.  If you wanted the rotation to be more frequent, you could simply copy the script and set it to run hourly again, but at a different time (do this by saving the schedule at the time past the hour you want).  So, for example, you could set one copy of the script to run at the top of the hour and one to run at half-past.

In it's current configuration, the script will run against all active Campaigns, but will only affect Ads labelled as above.  If you wanted to restrict the actual Campaigns it runs against, you could apply another condition to the Campaign iterator.

Jon

//Rotates Ads evenly by impressions (c) Jon Gritton 2016

function main() {
  var campIter = AdWordsApp.campaigns()
    // add other conditions here to restrict Campaigns operated upon
    .withCondition("Status = 'ENABLED'")
    .get();

while (campIter.hasNext()) {
    var thisCamp = campIter.next();
    var adGIter = thisCamp.adGroups()
      .withCondition("Status = 'ENABLED'")
      .get();

while (adGIter.hasNext()) {
      var thisAdG = adGIter.next();
      Logger.log(thisAdG.getName());
      var adIter = thisAdG.ads()
        .withCondition("LabelNames CONTAINS_ANY ['AdRotate']")
        .orderBy("Impressions ASC")
        .forDateRange("TODAY")
        .get();
      if(adIter.totalNumEntities() > 0) {
        var i = 0;
        while(adIter.hasNext()) {
          var thisAd = adIter.next();
          if(i == 0) {
            thisAd.enable();
            Logger.log("Enabled: " + thisAd.getId());
          }
          else {