Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ads blocked by negative kewords. Why?

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I set up a new campaign in which I tried to establish the Triangulation-Method. I set up a group for each match-type I work with. In order to make sure that only the according match-type gets triggered I worked with negatives for the other match types. Like this:

Group 1 Exact Match:

[icecream detroit]

--> no negatives in that group

Group 2 Phrase Match:

"icecream detroit"

etc...

Negatives:

[icecream detroit]

Group 3 Modified Broad Match

+icecream +detroit

etc...

Negatives:

[icecream detroit]

"icecream detroit"

What happens now is that the ads from Group number 2 and 3 are not being displayed. The (translated) message I get is: "Ad is not being displayed because of negative keyword ([icecream detroit])"

What am I doing wrong? I just want to make sure that the phrase match group only triggers phrase match keys etc etc... Thanks a lot in advance!

UPDATE: When I check the delivery of the ads with the Ad-Preview/Diagnosis-Tool everything seems to look fine. Ads are triggered as planned. Someone just told me not to bother about the messages. BUT: Why do they appear if they don't matter at all?

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin N
September 2015

Re: Ads blocked by negative kewords. Why?

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Whenever you hover over that bubble, the system tells you if the ad appears for a search term identical to that keyword. Hence the message. When you hover, in the phrase match ad group, over "icecream detroit", the system tells you that if someone searches for "icecream detroit" the phrase match keyword will not trigger (as that ad group has a negative keyword that prevents it from showing). However, the exact match keyword will trigger (in the other ad group), which is exactly how things should happen.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hello, Martin.

What search queries are you testing with? Group two should only trigger for "something icecream detroit" or "icecream detroit something", but not for "icecream detroit". Group 3 should only trigger for "icecream something detroit" or "detroit something icecream", but not for "icecream detroit something" or "something icecream detroit".

If you're testing with "icecream detroit" it's pretty obvious that only Group 1 should trigger.
Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Calin, thanks for your feedback. What you describe is exactly what happens. So far so good. I just wonder how I can get rid of those status message which I find to be confusing. Because: Why do they show up if they don't mean nothing?

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Martin N
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Whenever you hover over that bubble, the system tells you if the ad appears for a search term identical to that keyword. Hence the message. When you hover, in the phrase match ad group, over "icecream detroit", the system tells you that if someone searches for "icecream detroit" the phrase match keyword will not trigger (as that ad group has a negative keyword that prevents it from showing). However, the exact match keyword will trigger (in the other ad group), which is exactly how things should happen.

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
The strategy you are using is ad-groups by match type. I also get this "error" message. I ignore, since as you mentioned, the ad does show.
Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
I am using this strategy at Campaign level and getting error message in Keywords Diagnosing as well as in Ad preview tool. Also while I try searching keyword manually, I am not getting the Ad. On which match type I should bid more to increase my Ad visibility.

Thanks
Puneet