AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ads and impressions gone wrong

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
morning,

the last few days I have had major problems with my campaign. I haven't changed any of my settings or keywords but suddenly my impressions has gone down to single figures and my rankings for keywords down to as low as five. Considering these words were ranking number one consistently with click through rates of over three per cent and three figure impressions daily, i am at a total loss as to what has gone wrong.

Checking my ads by searching on google, there is no new competition and even if there was it doesn't explain where all the impressions have gone. my budget is way above what my usual daily spend is as is my bid settings.

any ideas would be appreciated.
1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ads and impressions gone wrong

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello community,

Welcome to the forum Smiley Happy

What are your target networks? Are you targeting both Search as well as DIsplay Network combined in a single campaign or what?

When you hover mouse over the keyword's speech bubble, what info it gives back? Does it says ads are running or not?

Checking my ads by searching on google, there is no new competition and even if there was it doesn't explain where all the impressions have gone. my budget is way above what my usual daily spend is as is my bid settings.

Now this is certainly not recommended doing a live search for your own keywords. It hurts your impressions, CTR and all.

What is the status of your keywords? Eligible or Low search volume?

What is the Quality Score attached to your keywords?

Let us know so that Community can address this specifically.

Pankaj

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the swift response.

my campaign has only ever run on the search network. Regarding my keywords they are running and have quality scores ranging between five and seven.

The ads are running because I have had the odd impression, like today one keyword has one impression and ranked at five. Normally it would have fifty impressions by mid morning and be ranked one.

what amazes me is i have changed nothing and yet the last two days it's all gone wrong.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello,

I have escalated this issue to Google and you will receive an email from Adwords support shortly who will investigate your issue.

Thanks!
Pankaj

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 5
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi,

First of all check your keyword Rank via ad preview tool and check your ad position.

Actually, Ad Rank directly connected with bid and your Quality Score and Ad Rank recalculated each time your ad is eligible to appear, so your ad position can fluctuate each time depending on your competition at that moment.

To improve your ad position, you can raise your bid, or you can focus on improving your Quality Score.

One more thing you can do to check your impression that is "auction insight".

With the Auction insights report, you can see how successful your keywords are in terms of impression share, average position and other statistics, in relation to those of other advertisers who are participating in the same auctions. 

Thanks
Anchal

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks,

I will try that. What I don't understand is how key words that were ranking number one and getting loads of impressions are now ranking five and getting a handful. especially when I haven't changed anything. surely i should still be getting the same impressions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Morning,

just to update, I've tried absolutely everything suggested, checked my keyword quality, ad preview, search settings, upped my bids, the lot. The last two days I have had 40 impressions across all keywords - normally expect ten times that at least. And today I have none so far from midnight last night - again would expect to be in to three figures. Something is clearly seriously wrong with my account because this is totally unprecedented. I have even put back a couple of keywords I no longer use that had high impression but low click rates, just to see if they would get any impressions, and they haven't.

If you could refer this on to an expert because I can't reply to the e mails they send me.

Regards

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
1. Provide more specific data on your "before" and "after" picture: what was the trend when things were going better, how much did it change, over what period of time (identify what "suddenly" actually consists of)... more data helps us identify and root out any assumptions you might have.

2. Double-check for ANYTHING you may have forgotten that you adjusted or changed - I once forgot I had changed the target audience (from ALL to only North America) and was mystified why my stats plummeted. Smiley Surprised)

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 9
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
Hi,

Kindly check your changes via Change History which u recently made in your account.

Also check your negative keywords in details, may be you add some relevant keywords in your negative keywords list.

Kindly check your performance adgroup wise and recognize which adgroup get worst and then check the keywords of it.

If you find any particular keyword which performed well in past but now its not performing then check all the factor such as avg position, cpc and CTR.

You can also ask conflicting keyword report from Google and hope they will assist you.

Thanks
Anchal