AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border
Reply

Adgroups and Match types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
What is the best approach for adgroups.
 
Lets say you have a product for developers and your 3 main keywords are „developers“ „programmers“ and „engineers“. But basically those 3 keywords are just 3 synonyms for the same thing.
So now you want to advertise a product to some subgroups. python, java, php ruby developers. Maybe you create a separate landing page where you highlight for every one of those the key features.
The product is still the same but you highlighted the main features based on the keyword searched.
 
So here is my take on the groups.
 
Python
     +python developers
     +python programmers
     +python engineers
Java
     +java developers
     +java programmers
     +java engineers
Ruby
     ruby ….
Php
     php ….
 
And also on.
 
and at the end i would have the 3 keywords as adgroups
Developers
Programmers
Engeniers
 
Those adgroups would have the keyword as exact match plus similar variations.
 
With this i can have better targeted ads, and also landing pages. Would you do it better. The only thing that i can come up to be better targeted is if every combination python + developer would be its own adgroup,
but thats just to much work for questionable return.
 
My other and non related question is.
 
My tactic for now was that i would have one adgroup where i have my keyword in exact or phase match
and one „experimental“ adgroup where i would have a keyword in broad match.
 
the idea was that i would regularly go in the experimental adgroup view search terms for the broad keywords and then move that ( search term that triggered broad keyword) to the regular adgroups with exact or phase match.
 
Now im not sure is adwords giving priority to my adgroup that has better match
 
Lets say i have 3 adgroups
 
[keyword]
"keyword"
keyword
 
my undersanding is that adwords should allways trigger the one with better match and in this case the exact. But it could be that is only the case if those keywords have the same quality rank and so on.
So my tactic is not the best ? Maybe add as a negative keyword every one i add to the regular group ?
 
 
 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dani B
March 2016

Re: Adgroups and Match types

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Dani,

 


@Dani B wrote:
Im not really worried for a budget spend between different adgroups ( pyhon, java … )
because its the same product behind that, and if one of those adgroups is better (more searched) then others im ok if it consumes more.

Keeping track of this is important because even though the product is the same, the user behavior towards the keywords might be not. It could happen that the group that consume the most part of your budget (clicks) won't give results (sales for instance) while the group with low volume search might be the one that generates more sales to you. High volume does not mean good results, so keep track of this.

 


@Dani B wrote:
I know it is not that much work, but this is not my primary job and im asking myself it this tree is to much.

If this is not done on your primary job, I think that you first example might suit you better for a start, but keep in mind that Adwords is all about frequency. You'll need to reserve at least 30 minutes a day to do some following on whats going on.

 


@Dani B wrote:
What do i do for keywords that are releated but rarely searched or im not sure how they perform, i cannot do all that setup for every keyword that i come up.
My idea was a one adgroup where i would have all those keywords, and then test those keywords and maybe make new adgroups for those.

Initially you could have one campaign and then one ad group for each language (mixing keywords for developers, programmers and others), so:

 

Campaign 1 - Development Languages

Ad Group 1: Javascript (keywords: javascript programmers, javascript developers....)

Ad Group 2: Python (keywords: python programmers, python developers...)

and so on. 

 

This wouldn't require lots of times and you'll still be able to create specific and good ads.

 

This article with best practices might be helpful: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6154846

_


Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

View solution in original post

Re: Adgroups and Match types

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Ad Group 1:Hey Dani, how are things?

 

This is the kind of questions with many possible answer. That's because "the best approach" may change from professional to professional.

 

I'll leave my personal opinion on this.

@Dani B wrote:
 
Lets say you have a product for developers and your 3 main keywords are „developers“ „programmers“ and „engineers“. But basically those 3 keywords are just 3 synonyms for the same thing.

I like to think that these keywords are synonyms for us in life, but inside Google, they're totally different. If you think about it, a lot of our life aspects, knowledge and environment have influence on how people search for things. With that in mind, users want to see answers to what they are looking for, so if someone is looking for Programmers, I'd have one Ad Group just for the keywords related to Programmers, so that I could write ads with the word Programmers and send the user to a page relevant to this theme. The same would apply for Programmers and Engineers. 

 

This in my opinion is a good user experience and it's me as an advertisers being relevant to the user.

 

Let me give you some example (I'll try my best to translate the scenario to english): Here in Brazil we have to very popular cities: São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro. Keywords of people looking for a place to rent and live with a certain number of bedrooms available are slightly different in those cities.

 

In São Paulo, people look for keywords like: apartment with 4 dorms

while in Rio de Janeiro the query would be: apartment with 4 bedrooms

 

The theme and everything is the same, but whenever the write the ads with those specific keywords, we have better results, and for me this is applied to everything else inside Adwords.

 


@Dani B wrote:
 
So now you want to advertise a product to some subgroups. python, java, php ruby developers. Maybe you create a separate landing page where you highlight for every one of those the key features.
The product is still the same but you highlighted the main features based on the keyword searched.
 
So here is my take on the groups.
 
Python
     +python developers
     +python programmers
     +python engineers
Java
     +java developers
     +java programmers
     +java engineers
Ruby
     ruby ….
Php
     php ….
 
And also on.
 
and at the end i would have the 3 keywords as adgroups
Developers
Programmers
Engeniers
 
Those adgroups would have the keyword as exact match plus similar variations.
 
With this i can have better targeted ads, and also landing pages. Would you do it better. The only thing that i can come up to be better targeted is if every combination python + developer would be its own adgroup,
but thats just to much work for questionable return. 

That's a lovely structure and should work fine. Again, this may vary from one professional to another. Thinking about user experience, I'd consider a slightly different structure.

 

Different development languages have different usage and search volume. With this in mind, I'd create one CAMPAIGN for each language, so that the ones with higher volume don't consume the most part of my budget, leaving the ones with low volume "unattended", and one Ad Group for each Programmers, Developers and Engineers so that you can write Ads specific to those (and using each one as part of the text).

 

Campaign 1: Python

Ad Group 1: Python for Developers

Ad Group 2: Python for Programmers

Ad Group 3: Python for Engineers

 

You can even add each of them as negative keywords so they won't trigger the other.

 


@Dani B wrote:
 
 
My other and non related question is.
 
My tactic for now was that i would have one adgroup where i have my keyword in exact or phase match
and one „experimental“ adgroup where i would have a keyword in broad match.
 
the idea was that i would regularly go in the experimental adgroup view search terms for the broad keywords and then move that ( search term that triggered broad keyword) to the regular adgroups with exact or phase match.
 
Now im not sure is adwords giving priority to my adgroup that has better match
 
Lets say i have 3 adgroups
 
[keyword]
"keyword"
keyword
 
my undersanding is that adwords should allways trigger the one with better match and in this case the exact. But it could be that is only the case if those keywords have the same quality rank and so on.
So my tactic is not the best ? Maybe add as a negative keyword every one i add to the regular group ?

That concept of using one Ad Group per match type should only be used if you plan to have different bids for each match type. If you don't need or plan to have this, you can have them all in the same ad group and they should run just fine.

 

Having one group separated for broad math is good, and don't forget to use negative keywords. Consider also separating in a different campaign for budget control.

 

Well, that's my view on this.

 

Hope this helps.

_


Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Re: Adgroups and Match types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello,

Im not really worried for a budget spend between different adgroups ( pyhon, java … )
because its the same product behind that, and if one of those adgroups is better (more searched) then others im ok if it consumes more.

But i could do „Python for developers“ and so on adgroups inside one campaign and inside have a something like this
+python +developers and variations on that.

With this setup i almost don't have to have a dynamic keyword insertion ads.

The maybe a problem is that i have to create new adgroup any time that i come up with new keyword.
Lets say i want to add devops.

So i now have to create.

Python + Devops
Java + Devops
….
and so on.

and i i want to target javascript i have to create more adgroups and ads

Javascript + Programmers
Javascript + Developers
Javascript + Engeniers
Javascript + Devops

and so on.

I know it is not that much work, but this is not my primary job and im asking myself it this tree is to much.
What do i do for keywords that are releated but rarely searched or im not sure how they perform, i cannot do all that setup for every keyword that i come up.
My idea was a one adgroup where i would have all those keywords, and then test those keywords and maybe make new adgroups for those.

Thank you for your help.
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dani B
March 2016

Re: Adgroups and Match types

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Dani,

 


@Dani B wrote:
Im not really worried for a budget spend between different adgroups ( pyhon, java … )
because its the same product behind that, and if one of those adgroups is better (more searched) then others im ok if it consumes more.

Keeping track of this is important because even though the product is the same, the user behavior towards the keywords might be not. It could happen that the group that consume the most part of your budget (clicks) won't give results (sales for instance) while the group with low volume search might be the one that generates more sales to you. High volume does not mean good results, so keep track of this.

 


@Dani B wrote:
I know it is not that much work, but this is not my primary job and im asking myself it this tree is to much.

If this is not done on your primary job, I think that you first example might suit you better for a start, but keep in mind that Adwords is all about frequency. You'll need to reserve at least 30 minutes a day to do some following on whats going on.

 


@Dani B wrote:
What do i do for keywords that are releated but rarely searched or im not sure how they perform, i cannot do all that setup for every keyword that i come up.
My idea was a one adgroup where i would have all those keywords, and then test those keywords and maybe make new adgroups for those.

Initially you could have one campaign and then one ad group for each language (mixing keywords for developers, programmers and others), so:

 

Campaign 1 - Development Languages

Ad Group 1: Javascript (keywords: javascript programmers, javascript developers....)

Ad Group 2: Python (keywords: python programmers, python developers...)

and so on. 

 

This wouldn't require lots of times and you'll still be able to create specific and good ads.

 

This article with best practices might be helpful: https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6154846

_


Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Re: Adgroups and Match types

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
thank you for your help.