AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adding the same keyword but different match type to a another ad group

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I know that it's not advisable to add the same keyword in 3 match types to the same ad group but can I add the same keyword but different match type to a another ad group? Or are they going to compete against each other?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rana g
September 2015

Re: Adding the same keyword but different match type to a another ad g

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rana,

Great question!

You can indeed add the same keyword with a different match type to another ad group, although we would highly recommend using match type negatives, also known as routing negatives. This will prevent the wrong match type being triggered and will essentially prevent them from competing against each other.

An example of a routing negative is, if you have an ad group for exact match keywords and an ad group for BMM keywords, you would put the exact match keyword as a negative in the BMM ad group, that way you know that all your exact traffic will go through the exact ad group and the BMM ad group will pick up the rest of the traffic.

I hope that makes sense, feel free to ask additional questions should you have any.

Thanks,

Kate

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Rana g
September 2015

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rana,

Great question!

You can indeed add the same keyword with a different match type to another ad group, although we would highly recommend using match type negatives, also known as routing negatives. This will prevent the wrong match type being triggered and will essentially prevent them from competing against each other.

An example of a routing negative is, if you have an ad group for exact match keywords and an ad group for BMM keywords, you would put the exact match keyword as a negative in the BMM ad group, that way you know that all your exact traffic will go through the exact ad group and the BMM ad group will pick up the rest of the traffic.

I hope that makes sense, feel free to ask additional questions should you have any.

Thanks,

Kate

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
I am currently testing 3 match type in same ad group. BMM, Phrase and Exact match type. Will let you know how it is going.