Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adding negative keyword for broad match

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Say I'm competing for "travel tickets". But I don't want to compete for just the word, "travel". Do I simply add this word to the negative keyword list as an exact match and I can still compete for other keywords that has the word 'travel' ?

-[travel]

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Rakesh Kumar (Top Contributor)
November 2015

Re: Adding negative keyword for broad match

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Hi Dean,

Add the negative in exact match like in your example would indeed prevent you from showing when someone just searches travel.

However, if you have all of your keywords in phrase match, for example, you wouldn't necessarily need to do this--a keyword like "travel tickets" will require that the entire phrase "travel tickets" is in the search.

Does that make sense?
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Cassie- Understood and that thought crossed my mind. But it's impossible to do because I have dozens of campaigns with thousands of keywords to manage so we keep it to broad match while adding negative keywords along the way. It's a time management issue.

With that said, it sounds like negative exact match is the best way to avoid these one word searches?

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager
If you're going to stick with broad match, yes. But I would definitely encourage you to change the match types of the other keywords in the future (when you have time), just because I imagine it's difficult to anticipate every possible negative keyword!

Cassie