Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adding exact match prevents ads from showing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

This is literally driving me insane. INSANE I TELL YOU Smiley Happy

In an adgroup, I had nothing but BMM. There was a particular phrase that was doing well, so I added it as an exact match, but now my ad will not show. 

Using Google preview tool I get the following error: our ad isn't being shown for this keyword because there may be other ads within your account that are ranked higher and have similar keywords.

If I pause the exact match, all starts working again.

I'm infinitely confused.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adding exact match prevents ads from showing

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Adwords support could not explain why this is happening and suggested I leave it for 48 hours and it "should" start showing my ad again. But that it might not show as much as before. What?!!

Really disappointed that something so simple is causing such an issue.

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

It seems your exact match keywords has higher ad rank than the BMM keywords. That's why they are triggering your ads on those search terms.

And if pause the exact keywords, it starts showing from BMM.

Read more about Adrank here:-

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/1722122?hl=en

--Rakesh Kumar, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query ? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Rakesh,

I understand how Adrank works. But what I'm saying is; by enabling the exact match, no advert shows at all. Not from the exact match or the BMM. Both keywords show an error.

The exact match has a QS of 9, vs the QS of 7 for the BMM. Of course that is only part of the picture, as the BMM has impressions, clicks and conversions, whereas the exact match doesn't yet.

But what I'd expect, is at least one of these to show an ad. Now if I search the exact match, no ad shows at all.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi GG_HE,

I am assuming budget is not the constraint.

Just a question: where have you added the exact match keyword, in same ad group where you have the BMM or in separate ad group?

I would recommend to add that exact match keyword in separate ad group and make sure the Max CPC of the exact match keyword is higher than the BMM keyword, for 15-20 minutes you can try increasing the bids by 50% of what you have set for BMM keyword. And do add that exact match keyword as negative in the ad group where your BMM keywords is active. Your ad should show on exact match until and unless there are other keywords in your account in Broad or Phrase match that can trigger your exact match keyword from there.

Please let us know if it showed or not.

Regards,
Ashish