6.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Adding Manhattan

Top Contributor
# 1
Top Contributor

Is there a place where I can request that Google add an area that we can target in Adwords? Manhattan doesn't exist, which I find so odd given the size of it.  The only way to target Manhattan is to radius target or pick all the zip codes. I've found zip code targeting to result in way less traffic (phone support has advised me not to use it) and radius targeting doesn't work all the time as Manhattan is long and narrow, and not a circle, so it's very hard to get all of it in the radius without including places I don't want as well.

Joy Hawkins, Google My Business Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Owner of Sterling Sky
Read My Column on Search Engine Land
MyAdvanced Local SEO Training Manual
3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Adding Manhattan

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Joy, that is odd.  Google's list of targetable locations is by no means perfect, but Manhattan is quite a big place - even I've heard of it Smiley Happy

When you say zip targeting resulted in "way less traffic" - way less than what?  Personally I would have gone with zip targeting (until Google discovers Manhattan) and I'm not sure why Support would advise you don't use it.  It is quite a small target in relative terms.  Even in the US, location targeting is not perfect and I wonder if there are specific difficulties with that area.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
So in another campaign, we tried targeting all the zip codes in Manhattan and the account got very little traffic - hardly any impressions. Phone support told me it's because if they don't know a person's zip code (which happens frequently), they won't show the ad. So for lots of users that are searching, Google has a general idea of where they are, maybe down to the city level, but not always down to the zip code level. So they told me to radius target instead because that way you're improving your chances of your ad showing. It made sense to me.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hmm, I'm not sure that zip code targeting works by actually knowing a search users' zip code but rather by knowing that their location (determined by the usual means locations are determined) is within the specifed area covered by that code.  To put it another way, it's not that they know Joe Bloggs lives in 10024 but rather that his location - by IP address, device GPS or other means - appears to be within the area covered by 10024.

However, I'm not 100% certain of this so I will check.

How are you guaging that the traffic you see from the postcode targeting isn't "normal"?  Manhattan really is quite a small target compared to the whole of New York.  How many impressions/clicks were you seeing from the zip code targeting.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
We had a client in Philadelphia that was targeting about 20-30 zips in Philadelphia and getting very little activity. It was the majority of the city that he was targeting. Then we changed it to target the city of Philadelphia and saw a massive spike in his impressions. To test this, you'd just have to set up 2 campaigns - one targeting a city, and one targeting every zip code in that city. In our experience they don't yield the same results.

Owner of Sterling Sky
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by John Paul (Google Employee)
September 2015

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Joy,

Did you receive the message from support detailing how to target Mahattan correctly? If not, I am posting their information here. Please do confirm that this fixed your problem. Thanks.

-----

...As you correctly mentioned, zip code targeting is not a suitable form of targeting for your requirements. Also, since Manhattan is long and narrow, radius targeting would lead to irrelevant traffic. However, there is indeed a way to target Manhattan accurately.

What you can do is, go to the Settings tab of your campaign(s) and in the location targeting, click on ‘Edit’ and select ‘Advanced Search’.

Now here, select/add the city of New York as a Location Target. Simultaneously, you can exclude Bronx, Queens, Kings and Staten Island. This shall leave you with Manhattan as the location target as you can see from the attached screenshot.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
Hey John,

I did! And thank you for the solution. I think it would be good to post it on here so that future users can see it too. I still don't really get why Google doesn't just add Manhattan like the rest of the NYC Boroughs. But still happy to have a solution.

Owner of Sterling Sky

Google Employee
# 8
Google Employee
Joy,

Thank you for updating us on the solution for your Adwords issue. I'm marking this post as "Accept as Solution" which will allow other members to research this issue with a solution in the future.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Joy,
I have a same requirement, that is to target just Manhattan, I wanted to check with you to see how has the setting ad word with above solution worked for you ? or if there is a better solution.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor
Jagesh - it worked and is the only solution for now.

Owner of Sterling Sky