AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

#AdWordsTC: How do you manage an inherited large account with all keywords in broad match?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi guys,

There are so many different ways of facing an non-structured account with a large history of keywords in broad match type (not modified).

Assuming that the geolocation is correctly targeted, which are the first steps for creating more meaningful campaigns?

Do you start over or do you get along with the old an a new structure?  When do you decide to pause campaigns giving priority to the new ones? Which are the steps to follow depending on the account behaviour?
How would you react if while migrating to a new structure the old one has better performance?

You can answer below or follow the discussion on twitter with the Top Contributors. #AdWordsTC

#AdWordsTC: How do you manage an inherited large account with all keywords in broad match?

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

I'd start with watchin on Search Terms Report to check wehter the account needs a structure updates and new ads to reflect users' interests. Combined with quality score reports it also could give insights on possible negatives or narrowing of broad keywords

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi, 

I highly recommend the adwords editor tool. The features and tools make managing large accounts much more effectively, overall. 

-Julia

Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

If you are inheriting an account with history, then use all that information that the client has already paid for. (Focusing only on search networks for the sake of discussion.) All campaigns, all KW's, all time - Now go to the search terms report. What is the best converting exact match search term of all time? 

Put that term in it's own campaign, and dedicate as much of the budget as necessary, or you have available to achieve 100% of the potential impression share for that exact term. If you still have budget, broaden the match type of that term as much as you can within your budget to try and capture 100% of the potential impression share for the "long tail" variants of the most profitable term. If you still have available budget, keep repeating the process for your top terms, until your budget is maxed out.

Use that same process to identify your campaign level negative terms. What is the most costly, least relevant search term in the history of the account? Add that as a negative exact match term, and continue to broaden the negative match type to exclude the long tail negative variants - Unless or until the negative term match type becomes so broad that you start losing relevant impressions.

In a very short period of time, your new campaign will likely out-perform the historical campaigns, because you are focusing on a top down approach, instead of "best practices".

Tom

Re: #AdWordsTC: How do you manage an inherited large account with all keywords in broad match?

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

All of this can  be done through adwords editor tool- aceoss  accounts with past data history aa well as multiple adwords accounts!

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor#topic=2484471

https://support.google.com/adwords/editor#topic=2484511

-Julia

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey Tom!

Thank you for sharing your strategy!

For businesses focused in leads as a conversion goal, it is posible to start loosing conversions because the quality of them would increase. So the client can complain about reducing the quantity of them.

On the other hand, when do you decide to pause a kw which was bringing both relevant and irrelevant leads to give priority to the new one in exact match you have just activated?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Julia Xhajaj!

thank you for sharing the info from editor. Smiley Happy

I was looking for the strategy to follow during the migration instead of the execution.

Badged Google Partner
# 8
Badged Google Partner

The big issue you will always have when it comes to a lead gen strategy is the back-end lead value tracking. If, this is a best case scenario where you can actually verify the lead value, and you can track that with your conversion strategy, then you simply focus first and foremost on the most valuable conversions/leads.

If you can't get that level of data from your end (analytics and/or AdWords), then you are always going to be dependent on the clients feedback and internal tracking. Which, will never work in your favor. Smiley Happy When customers are asked "How did you find us?", no one ever says "I clicked on an AdWords ad". "Google" is about as good as you're going to get, and then it's up to the client to determine in their own mind what that means, and whether or not the advertising is "working".

It all depends on what type of client you have, and how much data you can actually track regarding lead quality. Whether they value quality or quantity, there is still always one underlying search query which generates most of the conversions you want to optimize for. How broad you make that term, and how many secondary terms you include in your new "premium" campaign depends on the available budget. If you don't have enough budget to cover anything but your top few premium terms, then pause those secondary terms/campaigns. Yes, there still may be some value there, but if you don't have the budget to achieve 100% of the potential impression share for the premium terms, you risk losing both quality and quantity of conversions to try and chase that long tail.

"How would you react if while migrating to a new structure the old one has better performance?"

It is a process, and you do want to take things one step at a time. It may take weeks for your new structure to perform "better than", depending on what performance metrics you value. Keep analyzing, testing, and optimizing, until those performance metrics change to favor the new campaign. When you reach that point, then pause the old campaign(s). In the worst case scenario if the premium search strategy doesn't work, as long as you don't remove those old campaigns, you can always re-enable them. 

Tom

Re: #AdWordsTC: How do you manage an inherited large account with all keywords in broad match?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey everyone!

This are from twiter answers to this topic on how some other experts will act to this situations:

@Shanee_Kirk I don't mind the broad match. But I would trim back useless keywords and non-productive terms. Then I would scrub through search query reports to add all negatives that might be needed

@akostik_t Reviewing all the search terms and building a new parallel structure with match types and segmented structure

@jrosell like this one. I think is good to know how to improve ad & landing relevance adding keyword exact match seen in SQR

@denoto i never do that #nobudgetforit

@nbengoetxea Looking for 2 most successful exact keywords in SQR and move to a own campaign and add to negatives for others campaigns. Repeat until ends to reestructuring Smiley Tongue

@spencerwade Follow the data..Review Site/Campaign structure, Run Reports, Remove duplication, focus on ROI, Pause & scale slowly

Here's the threat on Twitter.

Thanks for your answers!