AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
3.1K members online now
3.1K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords for a Real Estate Client With Multiple Properties All ....

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hey guys -

My client is a real estate developer. In short, they take a plot of land and prep it (or "develop" it) and sell the parcels of land off to builders who in turn sell to the end consumer. My client stays involved in the communities for their entire life span and market the end products for the builders. At times you will find they have many communities in a single city, where my problem arises.

Currently I am running a single AdWords account for one of their communities with the end game being AdWords for all their communities (30+). About 15 of those communities sit in one city and if you've worked with real estate you know the majority of the keywords are similar across the board ("homes for sale in [city]", "new duplexes for sale in south [city]", "bungalows for sale") and they make use of the city name and quadrant at times, of the product type at times, and at times they make use of other adjectives to describe the product or some affiliation with the product like a builder's name ("[builder] homes for sale in northwest [city]").

This becomes a problem when all the communities share a city, even a quadrant of a city, and share builders and product types. Even if they didn't share product types (to be conservative), many people by the looks of it use broad terms to search for homes anyway - as opposed to terms like "bungalows for sale" people will search more for "homes/houses for sale".

How would you guys go about building this account where it seems like internal competition is inevitable. I guess another question is is it necessarily a bad thing when your own products are competing for the same keywords? 

Thanks.

Badged Google Partner
# 2
Badged Google Partner

That's not the way AdWords works. There is no such thing as "internal competition" in terms of cpc. Only one impression can occur per account, per impression instance. The search query / KW / ad (adgroup) that achieves the highest adrank wins the auction.

If your concern is that the "right" adgroup is not showing the "right" ad for the "right" search query, then that's a matter of campaign/account structure. Restricting KW match types, and adding negatives will help insure that the end user sees what you want them to.

Tom

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Internal competition as in internal to the business, not the account. Every community has it's own AdWords account and each community targets the same keywords for the most part aside from branded keywords which don't account for much traffic in the grand scheme of things. What I'm asking is what's the best way to eliminate that rift?