AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords automatically targeting

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello community, hope you are doing great!

I have some questions regarding the automatic targeting in display for new campaigns.

Do recommend to start with manual CPC in a new campaign?

Do you recommend to start with  automatically targeting in a new campaign (conservative/ aggressive) ?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Agustin, 

I always start with manual CPCs, just so I can control how much I'm paying per click.

In regards to auto targeting, it depends on your budget.

A big budget could benefit from aggressive however a with a smaller budget you're probably best sticking to conservative.

Hope this helps,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Matthew,

Regarding the auto targeting, would you implement it in a new campaign?

Thanks!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Agustin,

Again, it depends on your situation.

If you know of any placements/keywords that you specifically want to target and you know will have traffic then I wouldn't implement it.

However if you're still a bit unsure on exactly where you want to target and are looking for some options, I'd use it for a short while, then choose the best sites from there.

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Augustin,

My approach is a bit different from Matthew's. I start with auto targeting, but I watch it VERY CLOSELY for the first few hours/days of the campaign. Depending on what's happening at the individual ad and keyword level, I apply manual overrides to the automatic costs.

But ultimately, like Matthew said, it depends on your situation. Which ads get shown, and how much they cost, depends on things like whether you're using enhanced CPC, maximizing clicks, maximizing conversions, etc.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your input.