Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Remarketing : Only to High Engagement Visitors

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Everyone,

Keep up the good work!

In AdWords Remarketing , Is there an option of following only those visitors who've spent a minimum of 2 mins ( during their last visit ) on my site.?

This will help me filter out low engagement visitors.

Thanks

Ankit

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ankit
September 2015

Re: AdWords Remarketing : Only to High Engagement Visitors

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Ankit,

It does sound like it would be a nice feature but unfortunately it's not available at the minute.

Maybe one of the engineers will spot this thread and think about adding it in later ;-)

Top Contributor Alumni
# 3
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi Ankit,

I've had a think about this and there is a way you could maybe, not 100% accurate at all but maybe get closer to your goal of targeting the engeged users.

If you went through your top pages in analytics and found the top 5-10 pages you could add remarketing tags to these pages and then select your custom combinations from a mix of these pages.

At least this way you would be able to target people who have viewed a number of your pages so if you have someone that has viewed, say 3 out of the 10 you would know they are fairly "engaged".

It could get a bit messy setting it up this way due to the volume of custom combinations you could have, but I think it's maybe the closest you can get to your goal without the AdWords engineers getting the time setting introduced.

It depends on how much time you are ready to spend setting it up.

I hope this helps you

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

May be we can tag a counter to our site which records all such IP addresses ( 2 mins or more ) , and target only those IP addresses.

Ankit

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hello, Ankit.

I'm pretty sure that what you want can be achieved through custom programming, by firing the remarketing script only when the visit duration is over 2 minutes. One can log the landing time and can constantly check, through scripting, the elapsed time. If the time limit is surpassed, the remarketing script could be executed. But it's not that easy to accomplish without a programmer by your side.

On the other hand, one can create a remarketing list from people who registered a conversion on a website, without having to place any special tag. AdWords knows when someone converted and can use that cookie for remarketing purposes.

Now, Google Analytics also offers the possibility to set up "time on site" goals, and to consider spending more than X minutes on a website as a goal conversion. Also, Analytics goal conversions can be imported into AdWords.

I haven't tested this before, but as I could use such a feature myself I've just created a Time on Site goal in one of my accounts and I'm waiting to see if I can import this goal into AdWords. If it's possible, and if afterwards AdWords allows me to create an audience out of these visitors, this may be a solution to your problem.

I'll see if the goal will appear in AdWords in a few days and get back to you on this.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 6
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi purefuzz,

Thanks again, sounds like a good idea, i think i know what you mean.

Let me see if i can try this out, will definitely share my observations as n when i have them.

Ankit

Top Contributor Alumni
# 7
Top Contributor Alumni

Adwiser, I hadn't really thought about the analytics goals as conversins in adwords for remarketing. Clever thinking but i'm not sure if it could work.

The AdWords conversions codes place a cookie with a specific duration but this isn't specified with analytics goals. It wouldn't be able to remarket to someone without a cookie to identify them correctly with?  

Please do the test and let us know if it does work as it would be quite handy to be able to customise the targeting this well.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

I'm not sure either, that's why I'd like to give it a try and then come back with the findings. Or if anyone can test as well, seeing that my holidays are only days away, please do.

Calin Sandici, AdWords Top Contributor | Find me on: Google+ | Twitter | LinkedIn | myBlog
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Calin for your help.

Wow, i have so many possible solutions to try from.

Do share your observations.

Ankit

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

Sorry to say it, but my set-up did not work. People who've completed goals in Analytics, even when those goals are imported into AdWords, do not show up as possible audiences.