AdWords
5.4K members online now
5.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Pros, help me increase my Quality Score. (2/10 atm)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

I have a single product that I am attempting to advertising on Google AdWords but my quality score is a 2/10 and is costing me a fortune in CPC as a result.  I was hoping that some pros out there could lend me a hand.  I am happy to pay someone for assistance, however I don't want to sign up for some monthly subscription or a super expensive fee as I'm only running a single campaign on a fairly fixed budget (trying to keep ad spend under $400/month).

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Pros, help me increase my Quality Score. (2/10 atm)

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Jeff,

How old is the account?

How long ago did you add this keyword to the account?

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
The account is new as is the campaign. (slightly under one week). I'm currently paying ~$5.00 CPC for something that hardly has any advertising competition.

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Hi Jeff, 

I'm higlhlighting your issue at the top - let's hope our AdWords experts here have got some advise for you. 

Can you please add a little more detail about your business please? 

Thanks,

Mini

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Mini-CM (Community Manager)
September 2015

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Jeff,

If the account is new and the keyword is new then it could be a few possible different issues.

1. You lack relevance.  As in your keyword is not relevant to what you are offering, not relevant to your ads copy or not relevant to your landing page.  i.e. say you sell shower curtains...a keyword 'shower' is not relevant enough.  

2.  You have had a very poor click through rate on the search network in the time you have been running so the keyword quality score has been degraded and is now low.   I would try to set 2% as a threshold for the search network.  Anything under 2% should be heavily scrutinized.  However CTR is something that you should always be looking to improve, under 2% is just a good number to keep in mind when deciding what keywords need immediate attention IMHO.

3. The keyword came into the account with a low quality score from the beginning which indicates that the keyword likely performed poorly for other advertisers.  When and account is new it has not history, when a keyword is new you have no history with the keyword and therefore Google will use the historical performance for other advertisers to score the keyword in relation to your account.  If other advertisers performed poorly then the keyword can come into the account with poor QS.   You can fix that through a good CTR moving forward.  Google will continue to reevaluate your keyword QS every few thousand impressions and you will see an eventual lift in the visible QS of the keyword.  It can take a while though if there is not a lot of search volume on the given keyword.  Over the years managing and auditing adwords accounts I have noticed that there are certain business verticals that have poor quality scores no matter what you do (20+%) CTR.  With accounts like this you need to just work the CTR and kind of put blinders on when it comes to the QS score.  Of course keep an eye on it but do not obsess because it is very likely that the other advertisers you are competing with are in the same boat and therefore are on a level playing field with you.

Questions welcome!

Kim Clink, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the 'Best Answer.'

Google Employee
# 6
Google Employee

Hi Jeff, 

One thing I'd recommend would be to run a Search Terms report and then try and add some negative keywords to your campaign on the basis of this report. The Search Terms report shows each search term that has triggered your ad to show. So if any of these are irrlevant search terms I would add them as negative keywords, which will mean your ads won't trigger for these terms again. This will help make sure that you are removing any irrelevant traffic and you're showing your ads only to the most relevant people. 

This will hopefully improve your click through rate, which will improve your quality score, which in turn will hopefully bring down your cost per click. 

A.

Community Manager
# 7
Community Manager

Hi Jeff,

Those are some great suggestions from our experts. 

Hope that helped. 

Do you hve any further questions? 

Let us know. 

Thanks, 

Mini

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Kim,

Thanks for such a helpful suggestion.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I wonder if the keyword to the landing page is a problem with his low score. I would look at how I have my ad uses the desired keyword and the landing page the ad is directed to.