5.3K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Experiments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I just started an ad creative experiment using the AW Drafts and Experiments feature and am seeing a much lower ad position on the test creative (which is new) vs the control creative (which is older) and thus a much lower CTR (1% vs 3%). Do new ad creatives tested in this feature need to build up quality score, and if so, how do we know what period to evaluate them for (ie when will their quality score reach the score of the control group ad)? Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

AdWords Experiments

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Good question,

Wait until the system reaches a statistically significant result (marked with  an arrow showing the confidence level of the result),

Read more:

https://support.google.com/accounts/answer/6294825?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

AdWords Experiments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The CTR and Position have reached statistical significance and the results are so different that it leads me to believe Google is recalculating Quality score for the new/test creative vs the legacy/control one - see stat sig results below. If true, it means I should wait for further results, score normalization, and THEN launch the winner. 

Do you know how quality score is treated in new experiments of ad creative?

Test: CTR: 1.03%; Position: 3.7

Control: CTR: 2.67%; Position: 1.5

Thanks

Charlie

AdWords Experiments

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

You mentioned that the experiment was to test ad-copies. Is there a winner in this test?

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

AdWords Experiments

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The "control" ad creative is generating a stat sig higher CTR, so it's winning for now, but the difference in creative between test and control is not that great, so the results (see stats in my prior post) are strangely divergent, and one explanation would be that Google generates a new QS for test and control or for just the test creative when one starts an experiment. So that is the root of my question....how does QS change for test vs control in an ad creative experiment?

AdWords Experiments

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

>>" Google generates a new QS for test and control or for just the test creative when one starts an experiment"

This is the reason Google offers the AsdWords experiments:  The statistical  analysis in the background takes into account / consideration the changes in QS when analyzing the performance. From the user's POV all variable are constant except the metric tested.