AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
2K members online now
2K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Campaigns Experiment

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I wanted to test some setting in my Adwords account and tried AdWords Campaigns Experiment.

1. Campaign experiment switched on.

2. I want to test only one particular AdGroup - the rest should remain without any changes. I have copied one AdGroup I tried to test and set it up as an experiment only. The original one - as control only.

3. I see now that many AdGroups have stats for control, experiment and outside experiment - a complete missmatch. They are all set up to control and experiment but no changes were made to them, so basically there is nothing to test there...

Do you know how can I make all AdGroups "outside experiment" and let only one AdGroup be tested?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Campaigns Experiment

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Jakub H;

Well... It sounds that you should have set the experiment differently. The control and test are within the same ad group. The percentage of control vs test depends on the traffic you have to the landing page and how fast you want to see results which are statistically.
Running an AdWords  experiment does require some knowledge in statistics, and statistical tests . If you don't have the background, Iwould recommend to ask the help of a statistician

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

[ Edited ]
Community Manager
# 3
Community Manager

Hi Jakub,

Thanks for posting to the Community! To add onto what Moshe said, it is possible to tell the system to put a particular ad group in the experimental or control groups, but you will need to tell AdWords this manually (see the section in this guide on Selecting existing keywords, ads, or ad groups for your experiment). But as Moshe said, you need to be careful when you're setting any experiment up to make sure that the results will be statistically significant.

Hope this helps!
Cassie

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Many thanks for your replies Moshe and Cassie,

it means, I have to copy first the whole set of Keywords within one Adgroup and set them experiment only while the rest control only?

And what about other Adgroups withing the same Campaign? I don`t want to test them but the settings of test must concern the campaign as I saw...

Thanks,
Jakub

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

@Jakub H;

Here are step by step instructions on setting an AdWords experiment.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375383?hl=en

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
So according to this guideline I can`t divide Adgroups withing one Campaign for one which participate in Experiment and those which should be taken out of it...

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

@Jakub H;

Please take the time to thoroughly read the documentation. You can test new ad-group.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Moshe,

I went once again through this guideline. One question is still bothering me.

Within one campaign i have:
Agroup A
Agroup B
Agroup C (control only)
Agroup C` (experiment only; a copy of C)

I want to test if C` works better than C.

If I set A and B as control only I will receive wrong data while compering the results . I don`t want them to participate in this experiment at all.

Or Google will notice that I haven`t changed anything in A and B and by the possible split he will choose only from C and D in proportions I set in campaign settings at the very beginning?

Many thanks for your help and patience,
Jakub

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

@Jakub H

When testing a new ad group - it cannot be  a duplication  of an existing one. You must apply changes to be tested.