Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Bot and Javascript?

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Recently, Google announced that its search bot now recognizes Javascript-generated content.

Does anyone know if the AdWords bot recognizes Javascript-generated content when calculating quality score?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Eric (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: AdWords Bot and Javascript?

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

HI

This is a tricky question

1. If you are generating dynamic content (I think you want to do this for keyword which user searched for) I would suggest Server-side (PHP/ASPX) will deliver a 'complete' page to any request, even one from a bot, so you wouldn't have to worry about the ability for the bots to parse/run your JS.

2. Please make sure what dynamic conent is being generated as sometimes dynamic text can produce some very funny results and you can easily get your ads dis approved

3. I dont know about official statement by google for adword bot and JS as well as server side scripting but server side has worked better.

If this doesnt help you then please elaborate

Regards

Nik

Regards, Nik
LinkedIn  |   @nikhilparachure | My Blog

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks Nik,

Sorry for the delay.  Somehow I missed the email alerting me that there was an update.

I agree with you that server-side is the best way to go, since we don't have to worry about the bot's JS abilities.  I'm in a situation though where I don't have easy access to the servers (or webmasters) of a couple clients.  

I'm creating landing page content for them, which they can insert into their existing websites.  It's a lot easier for them to simply add some Javascript to a single, blank, templated page that can then be filled with content (similar to an ad network), depending on the variables passed from the ad's destination URL.  While it's not as effective as having a separate page (w/ meta tags, page title, etc) generated for each ad - it's WAY easier when we don't have server access - especially as more keywords and landing pages are added.  But it would only work well for QS, if the AdsBot can read the generated content and recognize its relevance.  

I'll try and do some tests over the weekend and report back.  We'll see if we can't figure this out.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 4
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi

I understand your issue of not having server access. In that case is it possible for you to try content experiment in google analytics? http://analytics.blogspot.in/2012/06/helping-to-create-better-websites.html

Give this a try this will also use some kind of javascript but it will be better than some other custom JS which may or maynot work with bots

Regards, Nik

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 5
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

It's not looking good so far.  

I ran a test using OfficeAutoPilot's dynamic form inserter, which inserts HTML w/ Javascript.  I had the HTML call an image from a seperate server.   After the logs showed a landing page visit from the AdsBot, the server that hosted the image had no record of an AdsBot visit - which suggests that the AdsBot didn't allow the Javascript to execute.  But what if the AdsBot just ignored the image, for some reason?

I then did a test w/ the same HTML, but generated server-side, and the image server recorded an AdsBot visit - which suggests that the AdsBot normally would recognize that image, and the JS was not executed before.

I guess it's possible that the JS was executed, but that the AdsBot ignores images when generated via Javascript only - but it's probably not too likely.  Another possibility is that the AdsBot just didn't like that type of JS code - so using the content experiment script may be worth a shot.

Top Contributor Alumni
# 6
Top Contributor Alumni

Humm I will run some tests and will let you know in couple of days in the mean while try content experiments as mentioned in previous post if possible

Regards, Nik

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Everyone,

It's a old topic but i would like to know if you definetely find a solution because I think I have the same issue.

Thanks

AdWords Bot and Javascript?

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

This thread has been closed to new replies since it is from 2012.

If you have a new or unanswered question related to this topic, please start a new thread and post a clear, specific and detailed question that describes your particular situation.

To start a new thread, please go to the top level of the Community, and from there, click on the board that is most closely related to your question. After that, you can click on the pink "+" sign in the lower right corner of the screen to start a new topic.

Thank you.