2.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Ad quality

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm puzzled by a lot of things about adwords.  This is 1.

How is first page bid estimated?  I thought that the more common a keyword was, the more expensive it would be.  But Colorado Spruce has a FPB of 0.82, while Picea Pungens has a bid of 2.00.  Similarly Black Spruce is 0.69 while Picea mariana is 2.25  I would have expected that use of common name versus botanical name would be a good 10:1, therefore the botanical name should be cheaper.

Quality scores of 7  hardy larix larcina

Quality scores of 6:  hardy white spruce; 

Quality scores of 5:  Ponderosa pine; Lodgepole pine; Colorado spruce; Swamp Spruce; 

Quality scores of 4:  None.

Quality scores of 3:  Pinus contorta; Pinus ponderosa; picea pungens; picea glauca; picea mariana; White Spruce; Black Spruce; Black Hills Spruce; Larix larcina

Qualtiy scores of 2:  None

Quality scores of 1:  Tamarack 

Rule of thumb:

• a 'color' word is of low value.  
  • Botanical names are of low value.  
  • Longer phrases have higher quality, but you get hit by the "Low Search Volume" problem.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Ad quality

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

First page  bid estimate - as the name infers, is first and foremost an estimate. Like any other statistical estimate, it has its margin of error (which could be significant).

I prefer to use the real numbers based on the cost advertisers paid using the data given by the keyword planner.

>>"...Your suggested bid is calculated by taking into account the costs-per-click (CPCs) that advertisers are paying for this keyword for the location and Search Network settings you've selected. "

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’