AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Ad quality

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

I'm puzzled by a lot of things about adwords.  This is 1.

How is first page bid estimated?  I thought that the more common a keyword was, the more expensive it would be.  But Colorado Spruce has a FPB of 0.82, while Picea Pungens has a bid of 2.00.  Similarly Black Spruce is 0.69 while Picea mariana is 2.25  I would have expected that use of common name versus botanical name would be a good 10:1, therefore the botanical name should be cheaper.

Quality scores of 7  hardy larix larcina

Quality scores of 6:  hardy white spruce; 

Quality scores of 5:  Ponderosa pine; Lodgepole pine; Colorado spruce; Swamp Spruce; 

Quality scores of 4:  None.

Quality scores of 3:  Pinus contorta; Pinus ponderosa; picea pungens; picea glauca; picea mariana; White Spruce; Black Spruce; Black Hills Spruce; Larix larcina

Qualtiy scores of 2:  None

Quality scores of 1:  Tamarack 

Rule of thumb:

• a 'color' word is of low value.  
  • Botanical names are of low value.  
  • Longer phrases have higher quality, but you get hit by the "Low Search Volume" problem.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Ad quality

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello;

First page  bid estimate - as the name infers, is first and foremost an estimate. Like any other statistical estimate, it has its margin of error (which could be significant).

I prefer to use the real numbers based on the cost advertisers paid using the data given by the keyword planner.

>>"...Your suggested bid is calculated by taking into account the costs-per-click (CPCs) that advertisers are paying for this keyword for the location and Search Network settings you've selected. "

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’