Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

AdWords Account Just Stopped Generating Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have a client in the health industry that, for the first 28 days, got 14 conversions from AdWords search. So far so good. BUT, in the 39 days since that time, we've somehow only got 1 conversion, while spending a similar amount of money, with the same landing page, etc - basically, we changed nothing significant at all, but somehow we're now getting nothing out of AdWords. Detailed stats below:

Before:
Clicks - 174
Cost - 619.37
Conversions - 14
Conversion Rate - 8.04%

After:
Clicks - 149
Cost - 547.71
Conversions - 1
Conversion Rate - .67%

At this point I'm really not sure what to make of it. It almost seems like a kind of ad fatigue, or conversion fatigue. Just to reiterate, the keywords are the same, the landing page is the same, bids, etc, I've double and triple checked everything, so it's not these things.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: AdWords Account Just Stopped Generating Conversions

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Nick P when did the single conversion appear in the latter period?  Was it at the start of the 39 days?  What criteria are you using to separate the two periods?

Do you see organic conversions, and if so, have these changed at all?  Has the position of your Ads changed at all?  Are you using manual CPC bidding or automation of some kind?

In almost every single case I've seen of this, the answer has been a problem with the website, either in the conversion tracking itself or in the ability of customers to actually convert.  If there really is absolutely no difference in AdWords stats (especially number of impressions, CTR and Ad position), then the answer really has to be either the site, or a very substantial change in competition.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi John,

Thanks for your reply. The single conversion occurred in the middle of the 39 day period. My criteria is simply when the account was generating conversions on a regular basis, and when it stopped. The landing page only receives traffic from AdWords, it's not indexed in Google. Ad position has remained between 1.8 and 2.4 the whole time. Manual CPC bidding only. Everything is the same as before.

What's strange is that the client believes this has happened to him before, and more than once - the campaign starts out well, then it drops off to nothing after a period of time. If that's true (the client never received reports/access to the previous AdWords/GA accounts so I can't verify) then the only thing I can think of is that his competitors are doing something dicey.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Nick P hmm, that does sound odd - and more importantly, sounds like it's not AdWords itself that's the problem.

It's possible your competitors are "on the ball" in terms of watching for other Ads appearing.  Although a range of positions from 1.8 to 2.4 may not sound like much, because we're talking about an average, it might still mean your competitors are knocking you off the top spot much more regularly at some times.  There's a few things you can do to look for this:

#1 - Check your Auction Insights report for various date ranges and check where you are and what the data shows, particularly the "Outranking Share" figure.  Obviously we're looking for significant differences in data from the period where you had conversions against the one where you didn't.

#2 - Check the "Top vs Other" report (Segment -> Top vs Other).  Not as useful as it used to be before the right-hand side Ads disappeared, but it'll still give you an idea of how often your Ads appeared at the top as opposed to the bottom of the page.  Again, compare date ranges.

#3 - Check hourly figures (Segment -> Time -> Hour of day).  Look for periods of the day where your Ads are particularly low in position and compare the periods again.  It could be that your competitors are allowing you to show in a high position at "less useful" times of the day but knocking you down at other times, allowing your average to look the same but hiding the real picture.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

AdWords Account Just Stopped Generating Conversions

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

It has to do with the Adwords Algorithm. When you start an account or campaign, they give you the best visitors so you are charmed. After a while, they start sending you the worst.

You can pause your campaigns for a few days and active them again, they will recover and then drop again.