3.4K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad words campaigns and targeting, drop off in clicks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I recently segmented one of our ad groups into two ad groups, to better target our ads. I added keywords to the second ad group, and deleted them from the first, that apply to our target, becuase I know that you should not have the same keyword in more than one ad group.

Before seperating our ad group, our clicks for these particular keywords were high, but the ads were not taking them to the correct landing page. Now that everything is set-up correctly, our clicks for these ads are low, and as testing this I have typed in many of my keywords in Google and none of my ads have shown up. We just implemented the changes last week but want to know what to do to correct this issue. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: AdPreview Tool

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello graham_michelle; welcome to AdWords Community;

Two quick recommendations before we continue to investigate your case:

• When you are saying "I have typed in many of my keywords in Google and none of my ads have shown up" - Are you using the ad preview tool? (This is the only tool that would simulate ad appearance as if a "random user" were to conduct the search. When using your "personal Google search " - your personal preferences are considered, cookies are saved and the search results are biased).
  • What are the Quality Scores of the keywords before the change and after?

Read More: 

Ad Preview and Diagnosis tool

-Moshe

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Alys (Google Employee)
September 2015

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

I´d like to add some questions to help you with a solution of this situation,

a) You write that clicks for these new ad groups are low, but what about impressions? How does that metric compare to older ad groups?

b) Are new and old ad groups in the same campaign?

c) have you changed anything else that could effect impressions and clicks, such as max cpc, geo targeting or ad format?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi there thanks for your response. 

I forgot about the preview tool and how this effects which ads show up when searching. I used it and all ads do seem to be showing fine now thanks.

The quality score previously and before range from 3-7, for our keywords.

Thanks,

Michelle

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi David, Thanks for your response. 

Impressions are about the same, not too different for each keyword, some keywords are lower than others due to low search volume.

Yes, our new and old groups are in the same campaign

And nothing else like location or settings formatting have been changed.

Thanks,

Michelle

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi

I guess your CTR is lower in your new campaign. Correct
And if you haven´t change your ads, your keywords or their match types or cpc, or your landing page, your quality score is probably lower for your keywords in your new ad groups.