AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Ads
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad with QS7 Keyword Will Not Show?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Have a campaign with 15 or so ad groups.  Added new ad group with one phrase keyword.  QS7 and all indicators are green, average or above average.  Says the keyword is eligible.  Yet it is getting no impressions, and the preview tool says that the ad rank is too low to show the ad. 

Asked support and she said to create a new campaign with the one keyword so that it will pull from its own budget.  I have never heard this before?   Seems like overkill.  Shouldn't a QS7 keyword show?  I see not one competitor for the category, although I know that doesn't mean they aren't out there.

I appreciate any insights.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad with QS7 Keyword Will Not Show?

Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Collaborator ✭ ☆ ☆
Google uses the Ad Rank formula to determine the ad position not the "Quality score" alone. The main two components used to calculate the ad rank are the bid amount and quality score, so when your bids are too low, your ad may not show because the other ads that are currently showing on the page have higher Ad Rank than your ad, or because your Ad Rank does not meet Google's minimum threshold for ad placement

It is not only about the quality score, it's also about your bid . So, raise your bid to allow your ads to enter the auctions. I highly recommend to watch this video to understand the AdWords auction very well:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjOHTFRaBWA

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Smiley Happy

Community Manager
# 4
Community Manager

Great summary of AdRank Ahemd Ali! 

The one other thing to consider when talking about Ad Rank, is if you're using extensions such as sitelinks. The expected impact from extensions is factored into your Ad Rank. This means that if two competing ads have the same bid and quality, the ad with the better expected impact from extensions will generally appear in a higher position than the other.

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 5
Badged Google Partner

Embrereli

The Key take away here is "I see not one competitor for the category, although I know that doesn't mean they aren't out there."

Google doesn't always show a AD for some keyword queries. If they are currently not showing any other ads for that Keyword Query, the instance of your AD, may not or will not prompt your Ad to show.

I have seen it several times, in the past, and have tried to "gain some traffic" from a longer tail keyword term, even bid high, had good QS etc. but Google Did NOT show the ad. Nor any other adds for that matter.

In general terms, if you see competition then obviously Google will allow ads for that query, and then Like @Ahmed Ali states, your Ad Rank becomes the major factor.
And do watch the Hal Varian Video he post, ( was about to link that but once again my colleague cover that Smiley Happy

Also take heed of @KathleenG advice of extensions