1.7K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad rotation for low-traffic ad groups

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have most of my campaigns set to the standard 'optimize for clicks' ad rotation. But I find that, when I've got an ad group that doesn't receive a lot of traffic/conversions, especially at certain times of the year, the results get very skewed, and those 1 or 2 conversions that come in, adwords will forever favour those ads that led to the conversions. So out of 4 ads, 1 got a conversion, and 3 got none, so henceforth adwords will show the converting ad 98% of the time. You really need a larger sample before conclusions are made. 

So I end up continually setting entire campaigns make to 'rotate evenly for 90 days', just so that I can properly assess the relative success of one ad group's ads.

Is there any way around this? Or am I missing something?

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by RachelM (Google Employee)
September 2015

Re: Ad rotation for low-traffic ad groups

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hello and welcome,

angryhobbit wrote:

I have most of my campaigns set to the standard 'optimize for clicks' ad rotation. But I find that, when I've got an ad group that doesn't receive a lot of traffic/conversions, especially at certain times of the year, the results get very skewed, and those 1 or 2 conversions that come in, adwords will forever favour those ads that led to the conversions. So out of 4 ads, 1 got a conversion, and 3 got none, so henceforth adwords will show the converting ad 98% of the time. You really need a larger sample before conclusions are made. 

So I end up continually setting entire campaigns make to 'rotate evenly for 90 days', just so that I can properly assess the relative success of one ad group's ads.

Is there any way around this? Or am I missing something?

I am afraid but if you have set your ads to rotate evenly for 90 days, then Adwords will try to rotate them and show different variation of your ads evenly during the whole day. It happens for first 90 days and after that if you don't change the settings, Adwords will start showing the ads which tend to bring more clicks (optimize for clicks).

What you said is applicable if you have set the ad rotation settings to optimize for conversions where Adwords will show converting ad copy most of the times surpassing other ads in your ad group. You can read this article for more details.

Let us know if that helps!

Pankaj

Re: Ad rotation for low-traffic ad groups

Google Employee
# 3
Google Employee

Hi Angryhobbit

To add to what Pankaj1782 explained, an ad report might not show an even distribution of impressions within ads in an adgroup due to Quality Score differences between ads. Setting ads to rotate does not mean that ads will serve more evenly during the first 90 days of serving; it actually means that ads will enter the auction more evenly during the first 90 days. Because ads are not guaranteed to win every auction entered, even ad rotation does not always occur. How the ads actually serve will be influenced by a variety of factors including quality, bid, etc. 

While the ads will enter the auction more evenly, whether a given ad actually wins the auction or what position it appears in will still depend on other factors. Both winning the auction and being seen by users are necessary for the served percentage of an ad to increment in AdWords reporting. 

I hope this makes things a little more clear!

Rachel