AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

1.6K members online now
Improve your Google Ads performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad relevance

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

A few of my keywords' quality scores are suffering. Hovering over the reason, they're marked as having "below average" ad relevance. I'm a bit confused as the ads seem to be pretty relevant to the keywords in question. For instance:

Keyword: Theatre Washington DC

Ad:

Theatre in Washington DC

See ##Play's Name##,

featuring a DC all-star comedic cast

URL.org/DCTheatre

Real URL

Again, it seems that I've covered the relevant terms but do I also need to spell out "theatre" in the body as well? Seems excessive and certainly makes the main pitch difficult. Any thoughts?

Thank you! 

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Re: Ad relevance

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I suggest reading  these articles. (Many more can be found searching for "ad relevance")

Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce

Recipe to making the perfect Quality Score Sauce

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi PatientRock;

When writing  your ad-copy, think  like a human, trying to attract other people. Smiley Happy . Do not apply "machine thinking", because you can't - You are human Smiley Happy

Let the text "flow", with attractive offers, and a call for action.  ...The rest will follow

Moshe, AdWords Top Contributor , Twitter | Linkedin | Community Profile | Ad-Globe
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer’

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Thanks for the advice, but that doesn't quite address the problem. I can write calls to action and other awesome tags all day long, but no one will see them if my quality score isn't the best it can be.

I'm looking for a better understanding of what Google wants in regard to "ad relevance", since from my limited knowledge, my above example seems to hit on those points. If Google is looking for something else, I can then rewrite ads for a better balance between marketing language and what Google wants.

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by Zee (Community Manager)
September 2015

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

I suggest reading  these articles. (Many more can be found searching for "ad relevance")

Ingredients of the Quality Score sauce

Recipe to making the perfect Quality Score Sauce