1.9K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad relevance low after domain name change

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I changed the domain of my website, updated urls on ads to reflect the new domain name & now ad relevance is below avgerage and impressions are low which means I'm paying more per CPC and hitting my daily budget before 3-4PM each day. 

For example, one keyword "private high school" has a quality score of 4/10. The ad says "Private high school" and the landing page has private school throughout. 

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad relevance low after domain name change

Top Contributor Alumni
# 2
Top Contributor Alumni

Hi newpsgirl,

Welcome to the community.

When you changed your domain you are starting to build up your history on a new domain. You previous one had built it's own but when you change it, you have to start again for the new domain.

You do have an overall account history so as long as your new domain is as good quality and relevant as the last one, it shouldn't take long for the data to build up and your new domain to start performing better.

Give it a bit of time and let us know if it improves.

Badged Google Partner
# 3
Badged Google Partner

So, what you are saying is there was a reduction in QS, therefore to maintain the same adrank as before you have to bid higher, which is eating up your budget sooner in the day?

This would seem like another bad case of "best practices". If whatever you were doing before resulted in a higher QS and better ROI/KPI's, then you changed things to try and adhere to "best practices", only to have performance suffer - It would seem to me to be another example of why "best practices" are not best for everyone, and no big changes should ever be made without testing and analysis as to what works best for you.

Why do you advertise? Is your one and only goal to "improve quality score"? Or is your goal to gain new customers/students, and make more money? Smiley Happy I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it - A QS of 1 is not going to stop me from advertising on a KW which generates a profitable ROAS! Conversely, a QS of 10 is not going to convince me that I have to advertise on that KW if it never generates any positive return. As long as the advertising is profitable/sustainable, then I can and will always work to improve performance. An increase in QS is possible - over time. However, if you are not generating any revenue while you are trying to improve QS, then you are not going to be able to afford to take the time necessary to improve QS.

What single exact match search query term, and ad copy, generates the most leads / conversions / goal completions? If you were to build a campaign using only that one exact match term, and only that ad, would you have enough available budget to acheive 100% impression share? If not, then QS of long tail KW's should be the least of your concerns, with a limited budget. What about networks, devices, locations, ad rotation, ad scheduling, and every other available option at the campaign level to help improve performance? 

Isolate that one term, analyze the data, continue to test and optimize, then see if over time that helps improve your QS. Anytime you make big changes based on assumptions, or worse yet "best practices", without clear data to indicate there is some performance benefit outside of QS alone, you are not going to see the QS improvements you desire. Pretty much guaranteed. Smiley Happy (For all we know, those big changes could be a red flag to Google, that you are trying to "cheat" the system, therefore you have to prove once again that you deserve an improved QS.) However, even if you do improve QS for any given KW, that's no guarantee that term will ever be worth the time and effort it took to improve QS. Make sure, whatever you do, you are always keep acheiving your advertising goal in mind. Find that one term which acheives most of your goals, and work on improving the overall performance of that one term. If you still have available budget, then expand to the next best term, and so on. 

I'm sure everyone will disagree with me, as is always the case when it comes to my opinions on quality score. Just remember, QS isn't all there is to adwords, and it certainly isn't all there is to running a business. Smiley Happy

Tom

[ Edited ]
Badged Google Partner
# 4
Badged Google Partner

Son of a ....

For all my talk, this thread just convinced me to go through and re-check all the details for one of our client accounts, that had gone through a domain name change. Sure enough, the phone number changed at some point, and I was still using the old number for call extensions... There's no excuse for my stupidity, thanks for the reminder, even if it wasn't intended. Smiley Happy However, I hope my personal screw up is even more evidence that there is more to adwords than just QS. Smiley Happy You never know what other balls you may drop in the process of this juggling act, if you only focus on one particualr thing.

Please, learn from my mistake, and make double sure, that every single destination and or display URL at every possible level of the account has been edited to reflect this new domain name change. Any KW level destination URL's? Any dynamic keyword insertion headlines? How does this domain name change affect brand advertising? What about analytics tracking code, or adwords conversion code tracking? Ad extensions? What about negative keywords and/or placements - Does a former negative KW that was crucial to relevant targeting, now prevent your ads from showing for the new most highly trafficed, converting, valuable KW's or targeting methods? This domain name change thing is far, far more complex than just the temporary reduction in QS for any one, or multiple KW terms....

Tom

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi newpsgirl and welcome to the forum.

It might help us make an informed answer if you told us what the old and new Domain names are.  Note that "Ad Relevance" also includes a factor related to the "focus" of an Ad Group.  Ads in a poorly focused Group can have a lower relevance even if all other factors appear OK.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for the responses.

The old domain is halstromhs.org. New domain is halstromacademy.org.

From what you all are saying it could be that I have to build up trust with Google again bc I haven't changed anything else in the ads or adgroups except changing the domain name and updating the urls on all active and paused ads. In the mean time - is there anything I can do improve my overall QS?

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Hi newpsgirl, sorry, I didn't realise your new domain was an exact copy of the old domain (or is the new domain just parked on the old site?).  This is partly why I asked for the URLs!

I think purefuzz's initial assessment is probably correct here.  Historical CTR is a factor in Quality Score and, as he said, once you change the URLs you've effectively wiped the history.  (When you edit an Ad, you don't actually edit it, Adwords deletes it and creates a new one).  Having said this, current CTR is a much bigger factor than the history so I would expect to see these  QS figures changing quite rapidly as you get more clicks.

In terms of improving QS overall, CTR is a good place to start.  Although there are lots of factors affecting QS, CTR does seem to be a big one and if your CTR is low it's likely to be a cause.  What sort of match types are you using for your Keywords?  Broad, Phrase or Exact?  Do you have good Ad variations in well-focused Ad Groups?

I might also suggest your site could do with some "speeding up".  Google's PageSpeed gives it a pretty low score and page loading time is another QS factor.

Jon

AdWords Top Contributor Google+ Profile | Partner Profile | AdWords Audits

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 8
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi newpsgirl,

Are you using any kind of redirect? Use webmaster tools:

Change of Address

Tell Google when you move your site to a new domain. Guidelines for moving your site.

First:

1. Set up your content on your new domain.
  2. Redirect content from your old site using 301 redirects.
  3. Add and verify your new site to Webmaster Tools.
Tell us the URL of your new domain

A lot of folks forget this step....

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks everyone.

I hope to see my QS go up after a bit of work needed :-)