AdWords
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad relevance determined when there are multiple ads in the campaign?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have an AdWords campaign with several ads and many keywords. Different ads are worded to match different keywords. Does AdWords find the best matching ad when determining the ad relevance?

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad relevance determined when there are multiple ads in the campaig

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Nuno,

Welcome to the community!

There are many factors which influence ad selection by Adwords.

For example if your ad rotation selection is the default 'optimize for clicks', then the ad with better CTR will be preferred over other ads in an ad group. So finding the 'best matching' will not happen at times.

To avoid this you can divide 'similar' keywords in to separate ad groups and write specific ads matching them. This will ensure that 'you' are choosing the ads for your specific keywords rather than Adwords.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/2375404

Hope this helps,

Deepak

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank, this is useful to know, but it's not what I was asking. I want to know how AdWords determines the ad relevance for a keyword when there are multiple ads in the campaign. Some ads are more relevant to the the keyword than others. How does this affect QS and ad relevance?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi Nuno,

It is not just the keyword to Ad relevance that decides which ad is displayed.

How ads in an ad group is served is influenced one way or the other by any of the four ad rotation options you have (and you need to choose any one of these 4)

The closest option which helps even selection when you have multiple ads is 'Rotate Evenly'

Rotate evenly: Gives equal preference to all active ads in your ad group, regardless of how each ad performs. Each ad will be eligible to show an equal number of times, but the actual impressions -- how often each is actually shown -- can differ across ads based on a number of factors.

These number of factors are not disclosed.

https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/112876?hl=en

Deepak
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Nuno R
September 2015

Top Contributor Alumni
# 5
Top Contributor Alumni

When one of your keywords is matched to a search phase, only the ads in that keyword's Ad Group are eligible to be triggered.

From that point, as Deepak describes, which ad is triggered depends on how you have ad rotation set for the campaign.

Theresa
Google AdWords Top Contributor
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*