Improve your AdWords performance and boost your ROI, CTR, and Quality Score
Guide Me
star_border

Ad rank isn't high enough to place it on the 1st page of Google Search

Google Employee
# 1
Google Employee

Hi Community!

This is Vrinda from the Google AdWords team and I’m going to be talking about a common message that you must be seeing in your account when you hover over the dialogue box of your Keywords a few times:

“Although your ad is showing, its rank is not high enough to place it on the first page of search results.”

Notifications Error

No worries, here’s a detailed breakdown of everything you need to know about this!

What is Ad Rank and how is it calculated?

Ad rank is the position of your ad, i.e. where your ads show on the Google search page. It is calculated by combining two factors; the bid amount and the Quality Score.

Bid Amount

The quantitative aspect of your ad rank, the bid amount is either set by you, if you are using manual bidding, or set by AdWords, if you are using automatic bidding.

Quality Score

This is the qualitative aspect of your ad rank. The components of Quality Score are:

1. Expected clickthrough rate: how likely it is that your ads will get clicked when shown for that keyword?
  2. Ad relevance: if someone searches for your keyword and your ad shows up, would your ad seem directly relevant to their search?
  3. Landing page experience: Is your landing page likely to provide a good experience to customers who click your ad and land on your website?

Why am I seeing this message and how do I correct this?

If you see this message on the keyword, it means that you need to work on increasing your ad rank to ensure your ad is shown on the first page of the results page, if not at the top of the results.

Are my keyword match types a factor?

There are various match types you can use like Broad, Broad Match Modifier, Phrase, and Exact depending on how much you want to restrict the volume of your searches. These keyword types affect the quality score as well. For example, you may have a higher expected click-through-rate for an exact match term. Read up on them here and take your pick!

Should I increase my bids?

Adwords can show you the estimated top page and first page bid for each keyword if you enable these columns (Modify Columns > Attributes). Refer to these columns in your keywords tab and compare these to the current bids in the account before making your decision.  

Is my landing page clear and useful to customers?

Here’s a few best practices for any information on your landing page.

1. Provide relevant, useful, and original content
  2. Promote transparency and foster trustworthiness
  3. Make it easy for customers to navigate your site
  4. Make sure the website is loading properly. You can check PageSpeed Insights for some tips there.

For further information, you can go through the AdWords Help Center Article on Ad Rank. Also, feel free to drop in any doubts in the comments section below and I would be glad to take them up.

Cheers!

- Vrinda

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Ad rank isn't high enough to place it on the 1st page of Google Se

Community Manager
# 2
Community Manager
Thanks for sharing these tips, Vrinda!